INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Is there life without Deli Meats? Yep!
Not sure about you, but I get weary of the same old fillings ‘jammed’ into my wrap sandwiches. Plus, people are sharing with me they’ve learned their favorite Deli-Meats contain several unhealthy toxic chemicals and preservatives they refuse to feed their families; a message rapidly spreading into the proliferating non-vegetarian community.
(WebMD medical team, International Agency for Research on Cancer, et.al.) .
Some enlightening info From Livestrong.com, et.al.:
• To prevent the spread of food-borne illnesses such as botulism meat manufacturers inject deli meats with preservatives that preserve longevity and give the deli meat its familiar color.
• Deli meats — such as sausages, bacon, salami and bologna — might contain more nitrites than others. Check the label and purchase deli meats that advertise “no nitrites”.
• Sodium nitrate is said to cause stomach cancer. It’s so dangerous the USDA tried to ban it back in the 70′s.
• BHT-Butylated hydroxytoluene is known to cause cancer in rats. Also used in cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, jet fuels, rubber, petroleum products, electrical transformer oil, and embalming. Embalming??
• Bromates are known to destroy nutrients and cause stomach problems such as diarrhea. Categorized as “possibly carcinogenic to humans” by the International Agency for Research on Cancer – See more at befoodsmart.
• Sulfites are known to cause joint pain and heart palpitations.
Fear not! Life goes on. Hardy full flavored alternative meat substitutes abound. Tempeh, the meat-free filling for these tasty wraps is seasoned with liquid smoke, Himalayan salt and pepper. Terrific resource for meat alternatives can be found at onegreenplanet.
Sautéed Tempeh ‘BLT’ Wraps with Sweet Potato Fries
2 Wrap portions:
4 oz. Tempeh drizzled with liquid smoke-Protein and FIBER
4 tbs. EVOO-Monounsaturated fat and antioxidant
1 cup spinach leaves
Thin sliced onion, sliced tomato, Himalayan salt and pepper
1 package whole grain or gluten-free wraps
1 pkg. Sweet Potato Fries
2 Tbs. Grape seed Mayonaise-Omega-6
• Cut tempeh ‘bacon’ into ¼ inch strips and sauté in a small amount of EVOO.
• Brown each side and Remove when golden.
• Spread a ‘warmed’ wrap evenly with 1 TBS. mayonnaise, then spinach leaves, onion, tomatoes and some fries and then place the tempeh strips into the center of the bottom third.
• Now push in the sides and then roll it up in an envelope fold like a burrito.
• Let it relax ‘seam side down’ till eaten.
Oven Baked Sweet potato Fries on the side or in the sandwich wrap.