INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – The Denver Broncos confirmed Sunday that Peyton Manning is retiring.
Manning will hold a press conference Monday.
The Indianapolis Colts owner and CEO Jim Irsay released a statement on his retirement.
Few have left their marks on a sport as Peyton Manning has. Simply put, he revolutionized NFL football. Peyton energized it as had no one before him, he made it more fun for our fans, and made the game better.
Off the field, Peyton has been a tremendous ambassador for the game and the epitome of someone who gives back to the community. He is the most recognizable face in the history of the NFL, and perhaps its most popular.
I will miss seeing #18 on the field on Sundays and I am proud and thankful for all he’s done for the Colts, our community, and the NFL. On behalf of Colts and NFL fans worldwide, I thank Peyton and congratulate him on an incredible career.
COMPLETE PEYTON MANNING COVERAGE
- Jim Irsay talks about Manning’s legacy
- Peyton becomes NFL’s all-time leading passer
- Manning writes letter to family of teen killed in crash
- Photos: Peyton through the years
- Peyton’s post-seasons with the Colts
- Photos: Peyton’s adorable son joins dad at podium
- More Peyton Manning stories
24-Hour News 8’s Anthony Calhoun is in Denver for Manning’s retirement announcement. Watch WISH-TV Monday for live reports throughout the day.