Coronavirus

New Orleans closing bars and banning to-go drinks during Mardi Gras

NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA - JULY 14: Pedestrians are seen walking along Bourbon Street in the French Quarter on July 14, 2020 in New Orleans, Louisiana. Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards issued three new restrictions for Phase II of reopening that will be in place until at least until July 24 across Louisiana to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Restrictions include mandatory mask or face covering outside of the home for those eight years old and older, bars will be closed unless providing curbside pickup, and indoor social gatherings are to be limited to 50 people. (Photo by Sean Gardner/Getty Images)

(CNN) — In a citywide crackdown, New Orleans announced on Friday that it will be ordering the closure of all indoor and outdoor bars and banning to-go drinks starting next Friday through Mardi Gras day on February 16.

During a news conference, New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell called the large crowds seen on Bourbon Street last weekend “unacceptable.”

Cantrell referred to the crowds as superspreader events, calling them dangerous and a risk to lives and the progress the city has made in stopping the spread of Covid-19.

In addition to indoor and outdoor bar closures, Cantrell said bars operating as restaurants will also be closed to the public. Packaged liquor sales will be prohibited in the French Quarter and the Central Business District, and all sales of to-go drinks will be banned during this time.

“I think we were all hopeful that we could strike the necessary balance for a safe and fun Mardi Gras, but given these new variants, the recent large crowds in the Quarter and the potential for even larger crowds this weekend and as we move into the weekend of Mardi Gras, it has become very apparent that it is hard to do” Cantrell said.

The city’s website also cited last year’s Mardi Gras celebrations, where community spread of coronavirus caused New Orleans hospitals to reach capacity.

The mayor said she would rather be accused of doing too much than doing to little when it comes to the health and safety of the residents, especially hospitality workers.

The new restrictions involving bars and alcohol sales will be in place from 6 a.m. Friday, February 12, through 6 a.m. Wednesday, February 17.

The Mardi Gras restrictions also include limiting vehicle and pedestrian traffic at certain times on busy streets including Bourbon Street, Frenchman Street and Decatur Street.

Parades, second lines and other gatherings were already prohibited under the current Modified Phase Two restrictions in the city. Outdoor gatherings are limited to 25 people and indoor gatherings may include no more than 10 individuals. Masks and social distancing are required.

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

MORE STORIES