Crime Watch 8

2 hurt, family of 1 killed in FedEx mass shooting seek $700,000 each from city

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — A lawyer for two people hurt and the family of a man killed in April’s mass shooting at a FedEx facility in Indianapolis have told the city government that they plan to seek relief from “significant losses.”

Brandon Hole, 19, of Indianapolis, fatally shot eight people shortly before 11:10 p.m. April 15 at the FedEx facility, 8951 Mirabel Road, before he killed himself inside the building.

Those who died were Matthew R. Alexander, 32; Samaria Blackwell, 19; Amarjeet Johal, 66; Jasvinder Kaur, 50; Jaswinder Singh, 68; Amarjit Sekhon, 48; Karli Smith, 19; and John Steve Weisert, 74.

In their claim, the families’ attorney says the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department failed in March 2020 to take away a firearm from Brandon Hole, 19. Their Washington, D.C-based attorney, Amandeep “Aman” S. Sidhu, also claims the Marion County Prosecutor’s Office failed to seek a “red flag” hearing that could have kept Hole from buying more firearms.

The claim said, “Instead, Mr. Hole was able to purchase an HM Defense HM15F in July 2020, only four months after police took his shotgun. Then, in September 2020, Mr. Hole purchased a Ruger AR-556. On April 15, 2021, Mr. Hole used these two semi-automatic weapons in the FedEx mass shooting that injured Claimants.”

News 8 has reported Hole’s mother once warned authorities about his mental state.

The claim was filed Oct. 12 with the corporation counsel for the city-county government on behalf of Harpreet Singh, Lakhwinder Kaur, and Gurinder Bains on behalf of the estate of Jaswinder Singh.

According to the claim each of the parties is seeking $700,000 in damages:

  • Jaswinder Singh was shot in the torso and later died. He is survived by his wife and son.
  • Harpreet Singh was shot in the head, and continues to have a bullet lodged in the side of his skull. He also is suffering from phycological injuries.
  • Kaur was shot in the left underarm, and she continues to suffer from psychological trauma.

IMPD and the FBI said in July that Hole acted alone and no one else had prior knowledge of his plans for “suicidal murder.”

Statements

“We are statutorily required to provide adequate notice to the City of Indianapolis and Marion County within a certain time period to protect our clients’ rights if they decide to move forward with a lawsuit related to last April’s tragedy. Accordingly, we submitted this notice of claims last month to meet that obligation. We remain in close conversation with our clients about their injuries and ongoing needs as we continue to chart the course forward and work on these matters.”

Amandeep S. Sidhu, partner, Winston & Strawn LLP, Washington, D.C.

“Thanks for reaching out. Out of respect for the judicial process, we do not comment on tort claims against the City.” 

The Office of Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett

“We do not have a comment at this time. The letter delivered to the Office of Corporation Counsel serves as a notice of tort claim, not the formal suit. As with any pending tort claim or civil lawsuits (if/when they are filed), we would not be in a position to comment until the matter is resolved.”

Marion County Prosecutor’s Office

MORE STORIES