Make your home page

IMPD releases names of officers involved in July fatal police shooting

Photo of the scene of a SWAT standoff on the east side on July 19, 2020. (WISH Photo)

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — The names of the officers involved in a fatal police shooting at a home on the city’s east side in July have been released by the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department.

The following officers, on July 19, around 11:45 p.m., were called to a home in the 3600 block of North Parker Avenue:

  • John Perkins
  • Klinton Streeter
  • Lee Rabensteine
  • Evan Matheis
  • Dwayne Mills

Perkins is a 24-year veteran of the department, Streeter has been on the force for 11 years, Rabensteine is a 10-year veteran, Matheis has been with the department five years, and Mills has served on the force for one and a half years.

Officers were called to the area when a woman reported her nephew, Grant King, 35, had a gun.

Two officers arrived at the home in full uniform and in marked vehicles, according to the department. Those officers then called for back-up. After that, officers said King shot at officers, and one officer returned fire. King retreated into the home at that point, and police said it was unclear whether he had been struck by the officer’s gunfire.

SWAT arrived to the scene after the first exchange of gunfire and set up a perimeter and spoke with King for about two hours by phone before he stopped communicating with police.

Chemical agents were deployed and police entered the home to find King. Once inside, King and officers exchanged gunfire and King was struck. He was taken to a nearby hospital where he later died.

The Marion County Coroner’s Office said King died after he was shot multiple times.

No officers were injured.

Summary of the incident from IMPD:

  • On July 18th, 2020, at approximately 11:43 p.m., Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department (IMPD) North District officers were called to 3617 N. Parker Avenue on a report of a domestic/family disturbance involving a weapon, between a woman and her nephew. The woman stated that her nephew had a gun, was on the porch and was intoxicated. 
  • At approximately 11:47 p.m., two IMPD officers arrived on scene at 3617 N. Parker Avenue. Both were in full IMPD uniform and drove fully-marked police vehicles. 
  • On-scene IMPD officers called for back-up officers to assist them with this run. 
  • Shortly after arrival on-scene, officers advised that they had been involved in an officer involved shooting with the subject (Person #1). Person #1 shot at officers and one officer returned fire. Person #1 then retreated into the home.  
  • It was unclear at that time if he was struck by gunfire from IMPD officers. 
  • No IMPD officers were injured. 
  • Due to Person #1’s firing, at least three nearby homes were struck (photo attached). Person #1’s bullets narrowly missed the occupants of one of the homes. The home was occupied by a 21-month-old child sleeping with her grandmother.
  • One of Person #1’s rounds also hit a tree where one of the first arriving officers took cover. (see attached photo) 
  • Responding officers immediately set up a perimeter around the home. 
  • IMPD SWAT members arrived and relieved officers on the perimeter. They immediately began making announcements over the PA system and attempting to contact Person #1.  
  • IMPD negotiators communicated with Person #1 via telephone for approximately 2 hours.
  • After several hours of negotiation, Person #1 ceased all communication with IMPD negotiators.  
  • The decision was made for IMPD SWAT to introduce chemical agents inside the home.  
  • IMPD SWAT and negotiators continued to attempt to contact Person #1, with no success. 
  • After getting no response from Person #1 after chemical agents were introduced and fearing that Person #1 was injured, IMPD SWAT entered the home to locate Person #1. Shortly after entry, officers encountered Person #1 and shots were exchanged (photo of SWAT officer shield sustaining gunfire attached). 
  • After shots were exchanged, it was determined Person #1 was struck by gunfire. Medics embedded with the IMPD SWAT Team provided initial care and he was transported to the hospital where he was pronounced deceased.  
  • Ballistic evidence recovered from the scene initially indicate that shots were fired from both the subject’s weapon and the officer’s weapon. Details will be confirmed as the evidence is tested by the Marion County Forensic Services Agency. 
  • The officers are currently off work on administrative leave as is standard procedure in these incidents. 
  • A total of five IMPD officers fired their weapons, one was the initial officer and the other four are members of the SWAT Team. 
  • The IMPD Critical Response Team is handling the criminal investigation, with the assistance of the Marion County Forensic Services Agency and the Marion County Coroner’s Office. The IMPD Internal Affairs Unit is conducting a parallel investigation. The Marion County Prosecutor’s Office will review the case and make a charging decision. At the conclusion of the criminal and internal investigation, the Firearms Review Board will review the evidence and make a recommendation to the Chief concerning whether the officers acted within department policy parameters. Any disciplinary action will have the oversight of the Civilian Police Merit Board.

Crime Map