LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WISH) — Prosecutors in Tippecanoe County have asked for a gag order in the case against parents charged with the neglect of their Ukrainian-born, adopted daughter.
Those parents are Michael and Kristine Barnett.
Prosecutors say the Barnetts adopted the girl in 2010.
But the Barnetts argue she was never a child but instead an adult with a form of dwarfism.
A Marion County judge legally changed the Barnetts’ adopted daughter’s age from 8 to 22 in 2012, a year before the parents left her in a Lafayette apartment.
Kristine Barnett told News 8 the adoption was a scam.
A hearing on the gag order is scheduled for Wednesday.
A jury trial for the Barnetts is currently scheduled for Jan. 28.
Previous coverage of the Barnetts
- Parents accused of abandoning adopted child in apartment; mom says it’s a ‘scam’
- New evidence raises more questions in bizarre child neglect case
- Warrants issued for Indianapolis parents accused of abandoning adopted daughter
- Lawyer says couple accused of abandoning adopted child were victims of fraud
- Mother accused of adopting child, fleeing to Canada, turns herself in
- Former neighbor, friend offers glimpse of adopted daughter at center of neglect case
- Parents accused of leaving adopted daughter, moving to Canada appear in court
- Father in neglect case wants release of adopted daughter’s mental health records
- Michael Barnett files for neglect charges to be dropped
- Mother accused of abandoning adopted daughter asks to leave Indiana