Crime Watch 8

Prosecutor wants 13-year-old to be charged as adult with murder of 69-year-old

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — The Marion County prosecutor has filed a waiver to charge a 13-year-old boy as an adult in the murder of a 69-year-old woman earlier this month.

The 13-year-old has been charged as a juvenile with murder and burglary. Marion County courts by midafternoon Wednesday had not yet set a hearing date for the prosecutor’s request, although the prosecutor and the attorney for the boy are scheduled to have a pretrial hearing in juvenile court on Thursday morning.

Indiana law does not call for the identities of juveniles charged with crimes to be shared with the public unless they are charged as adults.

No one else has been charged in the case, the spokesman said Tuesday.

The fatal shooting of the woman just before 5 a.m. Oct. 10 in a house in the 1200 block of Windsor Street left neighbors on edge. People who live in the Windsor Park neighborhood on the near-east side told I-Team that they believe the shooting happened during an attempted burglary when the victim startled the intruders, but police have not confirmed that information publicly. Police said the woman died about two hours after arriving at a hospital.

The Marion County Coroner’s Office has identified the woman who died after being shot as Antonia Reiner. Neighbors knew her as a volunteer for projects in the area, and as a mother and grandmother.

Anyone with information was asked to call Detective Chris Craighill at 317-327-3475 or e-mail Chris.Craighill@Indy.gov. 

MORE STORIES