Crime Watch 8

Lawrence police shoot theft suspect after pursuit

Theft suspect shot by Lawrence, Indiana, police

LAWRENCE, Ind. (WISH) — One person is hospitalized and another is in custody after a Tuesday police shooting following a pursuit on the northeast side.

The Citi Trends clothing store on Pendleton Pike near Franklin Road reported a theft at the business around 2:15 p.m. The employees described a white van connected to the theft, police said at the scene.

Just minutes later, officers at 56th Street and Post Road spotted a van matching the description given and tried to stop it. The van did not stop and Lawrence officers in two patrol cars gave chase.

The pursuit ended almost 3 miles later at Brendon Forest Drive just west of Interstate 465 when police say the van tried to turn and lost control. A confrontation followed, and an officer fired two shots, hitting the suspect in the arm and lower torso. It’s not clear whether the driver or the passenger, both male, was the person who got out of the van, police said.

One of the male occupants was shot and taken to Sidney & Lois Eskenazi Hospital with injuries that did not appear to be life-threatening. As of late Tuesday night, he was out of surgery and in critical condition, but stable. The other man was taken into custody without incident.

Police are not releasing their names but say both men are in their 30s. Both also had warrants out for their arrest. The man who was shot was wanted on a warrant for cocaine possession in Marion County along with several other related charges. The other suspect had a warrant out for a probation violation.

No officers were injured. Both involved in the case had cameras on their car as well as were wearing body cameras which investigators will be reviewing.

Lawrence Deputy Chief of Police Gary Woodruff initially reported that officers were fired upon during the pursuit. Woodruff later said at the scene that it appeared not to be the case. No information about possible weapons possessed by the suspects was provided immediately.

The officer who fired the shots was not identified but is currently on paid administrative leave which is standard for this type of incident.

Both directions of 56th Street reopened around 5:45 p.m. after being closed for about 3.5 hours.