Eat Clean. Eat Lean. What does that mean and HOW can you do it?
For that and more, we turn to Dr. Ian Smith, New York Times Bestselling Author.
WHAT is the Clean & Lean program? How is it different from your previous book The Clean 20?
Clean & Lean takes clean eating to the next level. It incorporates Time Restricted Feeding (TRF) also known as Intermittent Fasting. Dr Ian heard from people who had great success on his Clean 20 program and then added intermittent fasting to their routine, eating only between certain hours of the day, and found that their weight loss improved even more, along with other potential benefits including decreased inflammation, reduced belly fat, improved asthma-related symptoms, reduced insulin resistance, and preserved learning and memory function.
Dr. Ian Smith shares plan for eating clean and dropping pounds
WHAT are the “Clean & Lean Rules”?
Dr. Ian designed this program to be as simple and accessible as possible, with some key guidelines to help determine which foods are OK to include and which should be avoided. Some of the key rules are:
• • No soda (regular or diet)
• • Canned and frozen foods are allowed as long as they don’t contain artificial ingredients and are packaged in water or their natural juices
• • Unlimited water–8-10 cups per day is ideal. Sparkling water is fine, or a squeeze of lemon or other citrus fruit.
• • Dairy is allowed, including yogurt, milk, and cheese
• • No white flour allowed, BUT Whole-wheat flour is allowed
• • Foods can be grilled, baked, and sautéed in a little olive oil, but NO frying
• • Alcohol should be avoided. If you can’t abstain completely, a glass of red wine per day, or two natural, low-calorie beers every three days, won’t hurt.
WHAT kinds of foods are included in the Clean & Lean program?
Eating “clean” means sticking to 100% whole, non-processed foods, with no artificial ingredients or additives. Some of the 30 Clean & Lean foods include:
• • Bacon (organic turkey bacon)
• • Brown rice (Basket Buddies: wild rice, red rice, basmati rice)
• • Tortillas (organic, corn or 100% whole wheat)
• • Nuts
• • Kale (Basket Buddies: arugula, bok choy, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, collard greens, spinach, Swiss chard, watercress)
• • Chickpeas (Basket Buddies: black beans, red beans, cannellini beans, pinto beans, lima beans, black-eyed peas, fresh peas)
• • Cheese
• • Pork Chops
• • Grass-fed, antibiotic free beef
• • Eggs
• • Sushi
• • Fresh fish
HOW MUCH can people lose on the Clean & Lean program?
Average weight loss on the program is up to 15 lbs in 30 days
WHAT ELSE is new in Clean & Lean?
Built into the 30-day diet plan are customizable workouts for each day. The book includes detailed workouts and exercise instructions for beginner, intermediate and advanced fitness levels. These are quick, 30-minute workouts that will build strength and tone, as well as energize and accelerate results.
There is a companion app that goes along with the program. It’s called Dr. Ian’s World and can be downloaded from www.DrIansWorld.com. This puts all of the tools and resources on a user’s phone or digital device. Users have access to a personal coach, over 100 videos, recipes, daily meal plan, and a message board where they can have questions answered.
To learn more, visit: