Make your home page

Family home ‘significantly damaged’ after heater ignites

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – A single story home caught fire and was significantly damaged on Thursday evening on the city’s south side.

A propane fed salamander ignited and caught the garage on fire at 3372 Carson Avenue.

Firefighters arrived on the scene at 6:32 p.m. and had the fire under control in less than 20 minutes.

The homeowners and their dogs escaped the home unharmed, but they were unable to locate their cat, Crazy Kitty.

Firefighters located Crazy Kitty and were able to revive the feline with an oxygen mask outside of the home.

The Indianapolis Fire Department (IFD) estimates the damage at $150,000 and described the home as “significantly damaged”.

IFD is working with the American Red Cross to provide the family with shelter.