INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – A vehicle that police were pursuing Monday morning was later involved in a crash that killed Donna Niblock, 63, Indianapolis.
LaDonna Rogers, 37, Indianapolis and an 11-year-old boy were also critically injured in the crash. The child is at Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health and is in extremely critical condition.
The crash happened around 8:15 a.m. at South State Avenue and Prospect Street. That’s on the city’s southeast side.
According to Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department officials, Matthew Edmonds, 21, was involved in a chase that began with the Beech Grove Police Department. That chase was cancelled moments before the vehicle Edmonds was driving was involved in the crash.
Police said Edmonds shoplifted at a Wal-Mart. Employees tried to stop him, but he fled. Police began pursuing the vehicle until police saw a school bus picking up kids in a populated area. That’s when the chase was called off.
IMPD spotted the car near Prospect Street and State Avenue, but did not pursue Edmonds. He then sped off and hit three cars.
One woman was checked at the scene. Edmonds had non life-threatening injuries. Niblock and Rogers were taken to Sidney & Lois Eskenazi Hospital in critical condition.
The child in the truck was taken to Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health and is in extremely critical condition. Niblock was later pronounced dead at Sidney & Lois Eskenazi Hospital.
Edmonds was preliminarily arrested for resisting law enforcement, theft and driving while suspended with a prior conviction.
The intersection at State and Prospect was closed for several hours after the crash.Timeline of Events
- 8:07 a.m.-Initial call into dispatch on a theft at Emerson Avenue Wal-mart
- 8:10 a.m.-Beech Grove Police Department dispatched and arrived at the Wal-mart
- 8:11 a.m.-Beech Grove Police Department initiates pursuit of suspect vehicle
- 8:14 a.m.-Beech Grove Police Department terminates pursuit
- 8:15 a.m.-IMPD supervisor terminates pursuit
- 8:18 a.m.-IMPD officer observes suspect vehicle near East Pleasant Run Avenue and South State Avenue
- 8:19 a.m.-Fatal accident occurs at East Prospect Street and South State Avenue/Suspect flees from vehicle
- 8:21 a.m.-Suspect apprehended without incident