INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — An off-duty Indianapolis police officer shot an armed robbery suspect early Sunday morning, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department said.
The off-duty officer was working at a nightclub parking lot in the 3800 block of Georgetown Road just before 2 a.m. when he reported hearing shots fired at the south end of the parking lot.
According to IMPD, the officer drove to the scene where he found a person shot and an armed suspect. He got out of his vehicle and told the suspect he was a police officer before the suspect began to flee.
The officer, who is a six-year veteran with IMPD, shot the suspect. The male suspect continued to run to the north end of the parking lot where he was apprehended by the officer, IMPD said.
First aid was rendered to the robbery suspect until medics arrived to the scene, IMPD said.
The suspect in the robbery was critically injured. The victim of the armed robbery was also taken to a nearby hospital in critical condition, IMPD said.
The officer has been placed on administrative duty as a criminal investigation and parallel internal investigation is completed, as standard procedure, IMPD said.
On Sunday night, IMPD said both people who were shot were expected to survive.
The armed robbery suspect has been arrested on robbery and aggravated battery charges, IMPD said.
As is standard in officer-involved shootings, the department released a timeline of events surrounding the shooting:
- 11:39 p.m. – Officer marks out on Off-Duty Employment at El Parral Dancing Club, 3830 Georgetown Road until 3:30 a.m.
- 1:57 a.m. – Officer advises on the radio of “shots fired” and an Officer Involved Shooting. Officer further advises of a black male moving northbound (Individual #1).
- Additional Units begin to back on to the call and respond.
- **2:00 a.m.**- Daylight Savings Time Change occurs, time resets to 1:00 a.m.
- Control operator was advised that no officer sustained injury.
- Officer advises that there is possibly an injured person on the south side of the building (Individual #2).
- Officers respond to the south side of the building, locate and confirm that Individual #2 has sustained a GSW and is in serious condition.
- Officer involved in shooting located Individual #1 and administered first aid while waiting for IEMS to arrive.
- IEMS and Pike Medics arrive and transport Individual #1 and Individual #2 to Eskenazi Hospital.
- Notifications of OIS sent out to command staff.
- MECA Communications Van, Police Officer Support Team (POST) and Indianapolis-Marion County Forensic Services Agency (Crime Lab) are requested to the scene, per standard operating procedure.
- Detectives respond to the hospital and scene for investigation.
- 5:08 a.m. – Incident command terminated.
- Crime Scene released.
Anyone with information about the shooting or video of the incident is urged to contact the IMPD Homicide Office at 317-327-3475 or Crime Stoppers of Central Indiana at 317-262-8477.