INDIANAPOLIS (Inside INdiana Business) — The Indiana Department of Health has announced the 12 appointees to the new Governor’s Public Health Commission. Governor Eric Holcomb established the commission last month in an effort to examine the state’s public health system.
The commission is co-chaired by former State Senator Luke Kenley and former State Health Commissioner Judy Monroe. Dr. Kris Box, the state’s current health commissioner, will serve as secretary.
“We have the talent and brain power on this commission to achieve our vision of every Hoosier having equal access to essential public health services, regardless of where they live,” Dr. Box said in a news release. “The work we undertake here will lay the foundation for better health for all Hoosiers and ensure Indiana is well-positioned for the future.”
The newly-appointed members include:
- Grant County Commissioner Mark Bardsley of Marion
- Marion County Health Officer Virginia Caine, MD, of Indianapolis
- Mayor Bob Courtney of Madison
- Hendricks County Commissioner Dennis Dawes of Brownsburg
- Carl Ellison of Indianapolis, president and CEO of the Indiana Minority Health Coalition
- Paul Halverson, DrPH, FACHE, of Indianapolis, founding dean of the Richard M. Fairbanks School of Public Health
- Kim Irwin of Indianapolis, administrator of the Indiana Public Health Association
- Hannah Maxey, PhD, MPH, RDH, of Fishers, director of the Bowen Center for Health Workforce Research & Policy at the IU School of Medicine
- Brian Tabor of Indianapolis, president of the Indiana Hospital Association
- Cara Veale, DHS, OTR, FACHE, of Washington, CEO of the Indiana Rural Health Association
- Allen County Health Department Administrator Mindy Waldron of Fort Wayne
- Ripley County Health Officer David Welsh, MD, of Versailles
Additionally, the IDOH says former Congresswoman Susan Brooks will serve as a non-voting citizen adviser to the commission.
The Richard M. Fairbanks Foundation in Indianapolis has awarded a $250,000 grant to the IDOH in support of the commission’s work. Foundation Chief Executive Officer Claire Fiddian-Green says the commission builds upon the foundation’s previous grants to “strengthen the public health infrastructure.”
The commission will hold its inaugural meeting Thursday at the Indiana Government Center South. It will be livestreamed on the IDOH’s YouTube channel.