2 killed in crash on I-69 in Fishers

UPDATE: State police have now identified the two people killed in the crash as 19-year-old Marcus Padgett and 17-year-old Elizabeth Robertson.

Police said Padgett was the driver with Robertson the passenger.

The circumstances surrounding the fatal crash remain under investigation.

UPDATE: Indiana State Police say two people were killed in a crash on I-69 near the 106th Street exit in Fishers Wednesday. The crash involved a semi and a passenger vehicle and happened just after 5:30 p.m.

ISP believes the driver of the passenger vehicle swerved to avoid shredded tire debris and lost control. The car then spun into the path of the semi and was struck. Both the driver and the passenger in the car were pronounced dead at the scene. Their identities are being withheld until proper notification can be made to their extended families.

The driver of the semi was transported to an area hospital to be treated for minor injuries. That driver has been identified as Anthony Manuel, 52, of Georgia.

It is unclear at this time what caused the crash. The identities of the victims have not yet been released.

Previous Story:

FISHERS, Ind. (WISH) — Emergency crews have responded to a fatal crash on I-69 near the 106th Street exit in Fishers, Indiana State Police Sgt. John Perrine said in a tweet.

The crash in the southbound lanes of I-69 was causing backups during the rush hour beyond the State Road 37-116th Street exit, according to the WISH-TV Traffic Map. Only one lane of traffic was open at 6 p.m.

After 6:30 p.m., authorities closed the entry ramp from 116th Street to southbound I-69. They also planned to close the ramp from State Road 37 to southbound I-69.

No details were immediately available from police on the crash, the person who died, or any other injuries. A photo of the crash scene showed a semitractor-trailer could have been involved.

Perrine said the interstate will be restricted for at least two hours. He encouraged motorists to seek alternate routes.

Indiana Department of Transportation estimated the shutdown would last through about 9 p.m.