INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Firefighters pulled out pet oxygen masks Wednesday to rescue three cats in a house fire on the city’s near-east side.
Indianapolis Fire Department went about 9:05 a.m. to a house in the first block of Grant Street, northeast of the intersection of East Washington Street and North Sherman Drive. The blaze displaced two residents. Three cats were rescued, and four others were unaccounted for, the department said in tweets.
The department said the residents were using a gas-powered generator inside the home to power a large number of appliances. Fire broke out in the walls.
The three rescued cats were taken to Noah’s Animal Hospital at 4625 East Stop 11 Road for care. The department said it has a partnership with the animal hospital for such pet rescues.