INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — The lawyers representing Dreasjon “Sean” Reed’s family held a virtual press conference Saturday after a Marion County grand jury earlier in the week declined to charge a police officer in his shooting death.
Special Prosecutor Rosemary Khoury announced the grand jury’s decision on Tuesday evening.
Khoury said the grand jury came back with a “no bill,” decision, meaning there was insufficient evidence to charge Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department Officer Dejoure Mercer.
The family’s lawyers, Fatima Johnson and Swaray Conteh, held a press conference Saturday to respond to the grand jury’s decision.
Johnson said she was disappointed in the grand jury’s decision not to indict IMPD officer Mercer.
“I’m mostly disappointed in the fact that we are not surprised,” she said. “I’m disappointed that it would be a rarity to find a Black person who lives in this city who is surprised.”
They’re now are moving forward with a wrongful death lawsuit against the city of Indianapolis.
Johnson questioned how an officer could fire 13 shots, killing a man, and face no charges, and what that says about IMPD training and culture.
“Dreasjon will not be afforded the privilege of finding justice inside of a criminal courtroom,” she said.
Her calls for systemic change and increased police accountability were echoed by countless protesters, including Reed’s sister.
Watch the full press conference below. App users, click here.
Past coverage of the Dreasjon Reed case
- Lawyers for Dreasjon Reed’s family speaks on grand jury’s decision
- Indianapolis City-County Council members call for peaceful protest after verdict in Dreasjon Reed death
- Reed’s family joins more than 100 protesters downtown
- State police investigators lay out evidence in Dreasjon Reed shooting
- Grand jury declines to indict IMPD officer in shooting of Dreasjon ‘Sean’ Reed
- Indianapolis police prepare for grand jury decision in Dreasjon Reed case
- Still seeking answers 5 months after police shooting of Dreasjon Reed
- Protesters: Grand jury in fatal police shooting of Dreasjon Reed is step toward ‘bigger cause’
- Special prosecutor calls for grand jury in fatal police shooting of Dreasjon ‘Sean’ Reed
- ISP seeks people in SUV at site of Dreasjon Reed’s death in police shooting
- Autopsy report released to family of Dreasjon Reed
- Hundreds of protesters march downtown, demand justice for Dreasjon ‘Sean’ Reed and McHale Rose
- Coroner says Dreasjon ‘Sean’ Reed shot multiple times in homicide
- Family of Dreasjon ‘Sean’ Reed file wrongful death lawsuit against Indianapolis, IMPD
- Special prosecutor calls on IMPD to hand over Dreasjon ‘Sean’ Reed case to state police
- Community celebrates 22nd birthday of man fatally shot by police
- Mother of man fatally shot by IMPD calls for independent investigation
- Officer suspended, reassigned after ‘closed casket’ comment on Reed’s Facebook Live
- ‘Tragic circumstances’ lead mayor to get police body cameras; parents keep fighting in son’s name
- Fatal police shooting watched live by thousands leaves questions of trust, transparency