Busiest 5 days ever ahead for IND airport
Indianapolis airport enters busiest travel period
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Starting Thursday, Indianapolis International Airport expects to have the five busiest days in its history, with many travelers taking fall breaks.
For travelers, especially those flying in the morning or late afternoon hours, that means arriving at the airport two hours ahead of takeoff, the airport said in a news release issued Wednesday.
By the numbers for the next five days:
- 19,000: At least that many passengers are expected to go through security from Thursday-Monday, a record for five days.
- 20%: Estimated number of the 19,000+ travelers who will takeoff before 6 a.m. Friday, Saturday and Monday.
- 3:30 a.m.: The time when the Transportation Security Administration will open checkpoints from Thursday-Monday. Airline ticket counters’ opening times will vary.
- 4-7 a.m.: The hours to be most impacted by a surge of travelers from Thursday-Monday.
- 3-5 p.m.: Another peak travel time from Thursday-Monday.
- 14: The number of Transportation Security Administration checkpoints at the IND airport, which all will have new scanning technology.
- 3-1-1: The TSA liquids rule, described in detail online.
In August, the IND airport reported more than 4.7 million passengers from January-June 2023, setting a record for North American midsize airports. Through Aug. 24, the airport had reported an 11.5% increase in passengers who boarded planes in Indianapolis.