Extension cords, gas powered equipment spark near east side fire


INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Investigators now know what caused a home on the near east side of Indianapolis Wednesday morning to catch fire.

The Indianapolis Fire Department responded to North Hamilton Avenue shortly after 4:30 a.m. This is near East Washington Street and North State Avenue.

The home that caught fire is divided into nine apartments. One neighbor told 24-Hour News that she and a girl were helped out of the building by firefighters. That neighbor also said that a man in his 60s or 70s jumped from the balcony.

IFD said four or five extension cords that a light was plugged into caught fire. A gas powered chainsaw, weed eater and gas blower were on the ground and the caused the fire to accelerate.

Fire officials said seven people are OK after the fire. One person was taken to the hospital, but the extent of their injuries wasn’t immediately clear.

The fire caused $50,000 in damages.

Watch Daybreak for updates.

© 2019 Circle City Broadcasting I, LLC. | All Rights Reserved.


FREE News & Weather Apps

Storm Track 8 Weather App

Download Now:

WISH-TV News App

Download Now: