Heater issue prompts fire response to assisted living facility

Local

CARMEL, Ind. (WISH) – Firefighters in Carmel were called to a local assisted living facility Wednesday morning after smoke was reported in the building.

It all started around 7 a.m. at Bickford of Carmel, which is in the 5800 block of East 116th Street. The facility opened in October of 2014. It has 58 private apartments, according its website.

A Carmel Fire Department spokesman said a heater inside a resident’s room malfunctioned and began smoking.

Residents were evacuated into a dining room inside the building while fire officials investigated.

No one was injured.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

FREE News & Weather Apps

Storm Track 8 Weather App

Download Now:

WISH-TV News App

Download Now: