IMPD to increase presence around malls this weekend

Local

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) —  You’ll see an increased presence from Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department around several area malls this weekend after the giant fight that broke out at Castleton Square Mall last Saturday.

IMPD officials say they can’t release specifics about their plans for this weekend, but they did tell us they plan to increase patrols, just as they’ve done since the incident as well. They also said earlier this week they’re reviewing surveillance footage to find and identify those responsible.

Late Friday afternoon, Simon Property Group announced plans to increase mall security at Castleton. On the night of the brawl 10 security guards were on duty, this weekend the number will increase to 18. In addition to the extra security guards, the mall will remove teens causing disruptive behavior, and those loitering inside.

After the brawl, some community members said they hoped the mall’s owner would consider implementing a parental escort policy, where teens have to be supervised by an adult. Numerous malls across the country have some sort of policy like that.

According to the Mall of America’s website, youth under the age of 16 must be with an adult 21 years or older on Friday and Saturday evenings.

Ford City Mall in Chicago will start requiring anyone under 18 to be supervised on Friday and Saturday nights, beginning in February.

Simon Property Group has a Code of Conduct but doesn’t have a parental escort policy.

Simon Property Group did release a statement earlier this week, saying anyone who does not respect the code of conduct will be asked to leave the premises immediately.

© 2019 Circle City Broadcasting I, LLC. | All Rights Reserved.

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

FREE News & Weather Apps

Storm Track 8 Weather App

Download Now:

WISH-TV News App

Download Now: