INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — An Indianapolis man is facing a pair of felony charges after being accused of constructing a pair of bombs.
Corey Rheinhardt, 35, was charged Monday with two counts of detonating a destructive device or explosive. Investigators said he blew up a vehicle and a second bomb shattered windows a block away.
On Nov. 1, officers responded to the 3300 block of N. Central Ave. on a shots fired call. Officers saw Rheinhardt and determined an explosion had occurred, not shots fired.
Officers said he was found under the porch of a nearby house, then attempted to escape and battered an officer in the process. He faces separate charges for those incidents.
Investigators believe that Rheinhardt was the tenant of the victim that had the vehicle blown up. Investigators said Rheinhardt had been evicted in October but his belongings were still at the residence.
Ten days later, on Nov. 10, officers were called to the same block for a report of a suspicious device. That bomb exploded while IMPD’s Bomb Squad was trying render it safe.
Investigators searched a prior residence of Rheinhardt, finding bomb-making materials.
He is due in court for an initial appearance on Tuesday.