INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — September is National Suicide Awareness Month. There are warning signs of suicide and tips on what can be done if you or someone you know are contemplating suicide.
Clinical psychologist at IU Health, Dr. Danielle Henderson, stopped by the Daybreak studios to share her advice.
“Everyone can be impacted by this (suicide),” said Henderson.
Henderson said sometimes there aren’t warning signs that a loved one is contemplating suicide. But some signs to look for include:
- increased substance use
- withdrawal from family and friends
- impulsive/reckless behaviors
- hoarding pills/buying a weapon
- saying goodbye to loved ones
- giving away possessions
- NAMI Helpline: 1-800-950-NAMI (6264)
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Be Well Indiana Crisis Helpline: 211
- Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741
Click the video to learn more.