It’s worth repeating– Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women.
According to the CDC, 610,000 people die of heart disease in the United States every year–that’s 1 in every 4 deaths. The best case scenario is to protect and prevent BEFORE heart disease happens.
Audrey Barron, Ezra’s Enlightened Cafe, says we can protect and prevent through what we feed ourselves, the beverages we drink and the herbs we use. Think of each bite as potentially either taking you closer to heart disease or closer to wellbeing and quality of life. Our hearts are so important to our overall wellbeing.
The aspect of emotional wellbeing when it comes to the heart is often overlooked. Grief, loss and depression can actually wear on our physical hearts, did you know that? Facing our emotions and allowing ourselves to feel them and move through them can help our physical hearts and body function well. It’s not something your doctor will most likely address, but is so important.
Check out Audrey’s two recipes that have heart-supporting and protecting ingredients, such as:
• Blueberries – known for being a powerhouse of antioxidants, blueberries help regulate blood pressure and protect against cancer
• Reishi – helps lower blood pressure, reduces damage to the cells that line blood vessels, helps reduce cholesterol and insulin resistance and supports the emotional heart
• Cacao – antioxidants in cacao help keep your blood vessels relaxed, eases blood pressure and helps circulation and reduces inflammation
• Hawthorn berry – these berries are known to be potent vasodilators, helping to keep high blood pressure (hypertension) in check and are overall a fabulous heart protecting herb.
Check out the class lineup and more about Ezra’s Café at www.ezrasenlightenedcafe.com.
Want to followChef Audrey to see what she’s up to at home, behind the scenes at the café and at her farm? Find Audrey at @GaiaChef or www.gaiachef.com.
I heart you – Blueberry Banana Smoothie
Smoothies are such a quick yet fun and enjoyable to way to include important whole foods into your diet, like blueberries. We’re also adding a few special herbs in this smoothie, which you can’t taste, yet ads important antioxidants and heart support
• 2 frozen bananas
• 2 cups almond milk
• ½ cup frozen blueberries
• 2 tablespoons almond butter
• 1 tablespoon cacao
• Droppers full reishi tincture
• Droppers full hawthorn berry tincture
• 1 teaspoon green powder (we love E3Live)
1. Add all ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Serve with your favorite smoothie toppings. Some of my favorites are fresh blueberries, cacao nibs and hemp seeds. Enjoy with a full heart!
Coconut Thai Curry with Black Wild Rice
Serves 5-6 people
Black wild rice is so full of nutrients, minerals and heart supporting fiber. It also happens to be delicious. It’s one of my family’s favorite grains and it’s very easy to make, which is a huge plus. I add a simple yet very flavorful coconut curry and each person makes their own bowl, adding as much veggies and rice as they like. I include avocado on the table for topping.
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• ½ large yellow onion, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 head broccoli, chopped
• 1 head cauliflower, chopped
• 1 red pepper, diced
• 1 large carrot, diced
• 4 collard leaves, shredded thin
• Hand-full of fresh cilantro, chopped
• 1 tablespoon minced ginger
• 1 can organic coconut milk
• 1-2 tablespoons wheat-free tamari soy sauce
• 4 cups dry rice
• 8 cups water
• Tablespoon sea salt
1. To make your rice, add all ingredients in your pot (or Insta Pot) and simmer until fluffy.
2. To make your curry, sautee your onion, ginger and garlic for a minute or two with your olive oii, then add your chopped veggies and tamari and sautee for another minute or two.
3. To finish your curry, add your coconut milk, collard leaves and cilantro and cook on medium heat until veggies are tender.
4. Serve with love
Learn more at www.ezrasenlightenedcafe.com.