“Celebrating our Past and Investing in our Future.”
That’s the key message behind Women & Hi Tech, a non-profit organization in Indiana that strives to change the landscape of women represented in STEM, which stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math, to be equally inclusive to all.
Angela B. Freeman, President-Elect, Women & Hi Tech, and Kelly Ragle, Secretary, Women & Hi Tech, and Angela B. Freeman, tell us more.
(Information below, as told by Angela and Kelly)
• In 1999, Women & Hi Tech was founded right here in Indianapolis.
• So, this year we have a lot of exciting events planned to highlight our 20th Anniversary, with the theme of “Celebrating our Past and Investing in our Future.”
• To invest in our future, we are focusing on providing resources and programs for the generation of girls coming after us.
• In addition to our Passport to Hi Tech event, which occurred in March, one of these exciting events is called Ignite Your Superpower or IYS.
• IYS is a STEM day, for 600 Indianapolis middle-school girls from Indianapolis Public Schools and/or Warren Township to have an opportunity to see and experience the many different facets of STEM, and what it’s like to be in a STEM career, like an engineer, such as a mechanical engineer, an electrical engineer, or a software engineer.
• One of the biggest ways Women & Hi Tech has pledged to invest in our future is by providing $20,000 of scholarships and grants to females studying STEM in Indiana who plan to remain in Indiana – via our “#WHT20for20” campaign.
• In addition to the $20,000 Women & Hi Tech has pledged in scholarship and grant funds, we have had some wonderful partners come alongside and sponsor additional scholarships related to specific STEM areas.
Deadline to apply for the scholarships and grants is June 1, 2019.
• We also need over 150 volunteers for Ignite Your Superpower on August 22, 2019 to make the day a success, so please register to volunteer at womenandhitech.org!
• And, don’t forget to spread the word or apply for the #WHT20for20 campaign’s scholarships/grants by the June 1, 2019 deadline.
• We are Women & Hi Tech! Help us change the landscape of women represented in STEM to be equally inclusive to all
To learn more, visit:
Facebook Group: WomenAndHiTech