Make your home page

Restoration set for 1880s southern Indiana covered bridge

SCIPIO, Ind. (AP) – Work is about to start on a project to restore a historic wooden covered bridge in southern Indiana’s Jennings County.

State officials say the 156-foot bridge that spans Sand Creek near the community of Scipio will have its roof, siding and deck replaced, along with painting and stone abutment repairs.

The work is being done by Bradshaw Building Specialties of North Vernon and is scheduled to begin May 4.

The Indiana Department of Transportation says a federal grant is paying for 80 percent of the nearly $550,000 project on the bridge that was built in 1886. Jennings County is paying the remaining 20 percent.

A new concrete bridge costing about $1.3 million is being built nearby to replace the covered bridge for vehicle use.