10 years of fresh local beer. What’s not to celebrate?!
Steven Unrue, Culinary Director, Sun King Brewing, and Clay Robinson, Co-Founder/Owner, Sun King Brewing, tell us more about their celebratory party on June 22, complete with live music, food trucks and the release of fan favorite, GFJ. Here’s more:
Sun King celebrates 10 years with big bash
• Celebrating 10 years of Independent Indiana Beer on Saturday, June 22nd at our downtown
Indy brewery location. Doors at 5pm. Music starts at 5:30pm.
• $15 tickets can be purchased online: https://fanlink.to/skb10tix
$20 day of event ticket. Ticket will get you entry to see Whiskey Wolves of the West and headliner Mike and the Moonpies. Indy’s Mr. Kinetik will be spinning between sets.
• Austin’s Mike and the Moonpies made the Rolling Stone’s Top 40 Best County and Americana Albums of 2018. Currently on tour promoting their latest album Steak Night at the Prairie Rose, featuring “Beaches of Biloxi”. They recently released “You Look Good In Neon”. Known for their live honky tonk performances, you may have caught them at Duke’s Indy their last time through Indy. Band members Mike Harmeier (front), Catlin Rutherford (guitar), Kyle Ponder (drums), Zach Moulton (steel), and Omar Oyoque (bass).
• When artists have a certain degree of laudable talent in their arsenal, expectations can be quite high whenever they endeavor to branch out on their own. Good thing Tim Jones and Leroy Powell, the dynamic songwriting and performing tandem known collectively as Whiskey Wolves of the West, knew just how to harness the chops they honed as prime progenitors of the new Nashville sound. Helping forge the creative lane now occupied by the likes of Chris Stapleton and Sturgill Simpson also opened up a seam for the pair to charge through themselves to put forth a concisely focused, seven-track melting pot of an album aptly named Country Roots, which is set for release on March 2, 2018 from Rock Ridge Music.
• GFJ will be tapped, along with our 10-4 Good Buddy collaborations with Cigar City, Austin
Beerworks, 3Floyds, and Rhinegeist. We will also be pouring several Small-Batch Brewery beers,
Specialty beers, and Sun King King’s Reserve. 4-packs of GFJ can be purchased to-go inside the
brewery tap room.
• There will be local 3 food trucks on site including: Citizen Hash • Beach Bum BBQ • Bacon Station. You can also purchase food from OCA inside of the brewery tap room.
• Partners Mikesell’s and WTTS will be onsite with some fun activities.
• Must be 21+ to attend. Lawn chairs welcome. No pets allowed.
• Limited Parking and Street will be available. UBER/Lyft highly encouraged.
• Free water refill station. Sealed bottles of H2O okay or empty reusable H2O bottle permitted.
• No outside food or beverage.
GFJ Carrot Cake GFJ (Grapefruit Jungle)
Servings: 8 / Active Prep Time: 20 min / Total Time: 2 hrs
For the Cake:
½ Cup Raisins Set the oven to 350 degrees and then soak the raisins and pineapple in the GFJ.
3 Ounces Sliced Pineapple (fresh or canned), Chopped In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip egg yolks and sugar until lighter in color. Add salt, orange zest, GFJ soaked raisins and pineapple, and carrots, and mix to combine. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger, then add the dry mix to the wet, and stir by hand until combined. (Don’t overwork this mixture for a tender cake!). Place in two 10″ buttered baking dishes and bake for 30-35 min, or until a cake tester (or toothpick) comes out clean. Let cool and remove from pans.
¼ cup GFJ IPA For the Frosting:
6 oz Vegetable Oil In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine cream cheese, mascarpone, beer, salt, and orange zest until mixed well. Add powdered sugar in small amounts (you don’t want it on the ceiling!) and whip until fluffy. Set aside.
1 Cup Light Brown Sugar Frost cake when cooled. Slice and enjoy
4 Egg Yolks
Zest of 1 Orange
Scant 2 Cups Self-Rising Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
½ teaspoon each of Cinnamon and Ground Ginger
9 Ounces Carrots, grated and squeezed of their juice
For the Frosting:
16 ounces full fat cream cheese, softened
4 Ounces Mascarpone, room temperature
¼ Cup GFJ IPA
Zest of 1 Orange
2 Cups Powdered Sugar
Hemmingway Daiquiri Sun King Spirits RUM
Servings: 2 / Active Prep Time: 5 min / Total Time: 5 Min
4 ounces Sun King Spirits RUM In a Boston style shaker with ice, combine RUM, Maraschino, grapefruit juice, lime juice and simple syrup. Shake well to combine and froth citrus. Serve up (no ice) in a coupe glass with a lime wheel garnish.
.5 ounces Maraschino Liqueur
1.5 ounces Fresh Grapefruit Juice
1 ounces Lime Juice
.5 ounces Simple Syrup
Lime Wheel Garnish
To learn more, visit:
@sunkingbrewing – Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter