Local

The importance of having a CO detector in your home

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Carbon monoxide is a gas that you cannot see, taste or smell. That’s why it’s so important to have a CO detector in your home.

24-Hour News 8’s Drew Blair went to the Wayne Township Fire Department’s headquarters Thursday morning to learn more about CO detectors from Captain Mike Pruitt during Operation Safety.

Below are some important notes for every family to know:

  • Make sure your home has a carbon monoxide alarm. As with smoke alarms, install a carbon monoxide alarm on every level of your home, especially near sleeping areas,
  • Keep them at least 15 feet away from fuel-burning appliances.
  • Carbon monoxide alarms are not substitutes for smoke alarms, and vice versa.
  • Test CO alarms at least once a month.
  • Replace them according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

MORE STORIES