Best Medical Alert Systems in 2023: Ensuring Safety for the Elderly
DISCLAIMER: This is paid content. All opinions and views are of the advertiser and do not reflect the same of WISH-TV. The content presented on this page has been created and provided entirely by the advertiser.
Medical alert systems are invaluable tools designed to keep seniors safe and provide peace of mind for both users and their loved ones. These systems are specifically designed to prevent life-threatening injuries resulting from falls and other health emergencies that are more common as we age.
In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into the world of medical alert devices, exploring what they are, how they work, and what to consider when choosing the right system for your needs. Also, we will look at some of the best medical alert companies like Mobile Help and Bay Alarm Medical.
Best Medical Alert Systems – Overview
- MobileHelp – Best Medical Alert Systems Overall
- ADT – Best In-Home Medical Alert Devices
- Medical Guardian – Best GPS Life Alert Systems
- Bay Alarm Medical – Most Affordable Medical Alert Devices
- Medical Alert – Best Reliable Medical Alert Devices
- Life Station – Best Medical Alert Systems With Fast Response Time
- Lifeline – Easiest to Use Medical Alert Devices
- Aloe Care Health – Best Medical Alert Systems With Caregiver Features
Introduction to Medical Alert Systems
Medical alert systems are devices designed to signal the presence of a risk requiring urgent attention and to summon emergency medical personnel. These crucial devices are essential to a senior’s overall safety and well-being strategy.
They provide an easy-to-use method for seniors to call for help in case of a medical emergency, such as a fall, a sudden health crisis, or any situation where they may not be able to reach a telephone. 
The purpose of the best medical alert systems is to allow the user to lead an independent life while having the reassurance that help is readily available at the press of a button.
The systems typically consist of a base unit and a wearable device, like a pendant or wristband, with an emergency button. When pressed, the emergency button sends a signal to a 24/7 monitoring center, where trained professionals can assess the situation and dispatch appropriate help.
The best medical alert systems are not just about emergencies. They also provide peace of mind to the elderly and their loved ones, knowing that they are never alone and that help can be sought immediately, even if they cannot make a phone call. 
Types of Best Medical Alert Systems
Several life alert systems are available, each designed to meet different needs and lifestyles. Let’s explore the most common types:
In-Home Medical Alert Systems
In-home medical alert systems are designed for individuals who primarily need assistance within their homes. These systems typically consist of a base unit connected to a landline or cellular network and a wearable help button that can be worn as a pendant or wristband.
Landline medical alert devices require a working landline connection to connect with a monitoring center. They are easy to install and often the most affordable option. When the help button is pressed, the base unit dials the monitoring center using the landline connection, enabling two-way communication with trained professionals.
Cellular medical alert devices operate using a cellular connection, eliminating the need for a landline. These systems offer the same functionality as landline systems but are suitable for individuals without a landline connection. They are easy to set up and provide reliable communication with the monitoring center.
Best Medical Alert Systems
1. MobileHelp – Best Medical Alert Systems Overall
MobileHelp, established in 2006 and headquartered in Boca Raton, Florida, provides landline and cellular connectivity across all 50 states. The company presents a range of eight life alert systems, comprising three variants for in-home use and two for on-the-go scenarios.
Clients can evaluate the systems for a 30-day trial period, and there’s an option to purchase a warranty protection plan to cover potential loss or damage to equipment.
MobileHelp offers a variety of the best medical alert systems, each with its own set of features designed to provide safety and security. Here are some key features you can expect from MobileHelp:
- GPS Tracking: Many of MobileHelp’s life alert systems come with GPS tracking capabilities, allowing the monitoring center to locate you quickly in an emergency.
- Two-Way Communication: All of MobileHelp’s best medical alert systems offer two-way communication, enabling you to speak directly to the emergency response team in case of a fall or other emergency.
- Cellular Connection: MobileHelp systems utilize cellular connections, ensuring reliable coverage and eliminating the need for a landline.
- Battery Life: The battery life of MobileHelp’s best medical alert systems varies depending on the system. Some devices offer up to 24 hours of battery life, providing peace of mind even during extended periods away from home.
- Wearable Help Buttons: MobileHelp life alert systems include wearable help buttons in the form of necklaces, wristbands, or pendants. These buttons allow you to call for help with a simple press, ensuring assistance is just a button away.
- Fall Detection: Optional fall detection is available for certain MobileHelp medical alert devices. This feature can automatically detect falls and alert the monitoring center, even if you can’t press the help button.
- MobileHelp Connect: MobileHelp Connect is an online portal that provides additional features such as caregiver alerts, location detection for caregivers, and the ability to schedule medication reminders.
- Reliable and Fast Response: MobileHelp has a solid reputation for its rapid emergency response times, ensuring that help arrives promptly.
- Wide Range of Life Alert Systems: With various medical alert devices to choose from, MobileHelp caters to different lifestyles, preferences, and needs.
- GPS Tracking: The GPS tracking feature provides an extra layer of security and peace of mind, allowing for quick and accurate emergency response.
- Fall Detection: Optional fall detection is available for some devices, offering additional protection for individuals at risk of falls.
- MobileHelp Connect: The online portal, MobileHelp Connect, provides caregivers with valuable insights and features to monitor and manage the system.
2. ADT – Best In-Home Medical Alert Devices
ADT Health offers three of the best medical alert systems: Medical Alert Basic, Medical Alert Plus, and On-The-Go. Each system is designed to cater to specific needs and lifestyles. Let’s explore the key features of each system:
Medical Alert Basic: Affordable and Reliable Home System
The Medical Alert Basic system from ADT Health is an excellent option for those who prefer an at-home system that runs on a landline connection. With a wearable wrist or neck help button and an in-home base unit, you can easily connect to ADT’s 24/7 monitoring center during an emergency.
The two-way speaker on the base unit allows you to communicate with the live operator and get the needed help. One unique feature of the Medical Alert Basic system is temperature monitoring, which alerts you if your home temperature becomes too high or too low.
Medical Alert Plus: Enhanced Features for Extra Peace of Mind
If you want additional features and flexibility, the Medical Alert Plus system is the ideal choice. With a more contemporary and user-friendly base unit, this system includes a display screen that shows important metrics like connectivity status and battery level.
The range between the help button and base unit is extended, allowing you to move freely around your home and even in your yard. Like the Basic system, the Plus system also offers temperature monitoring and the option to add fall detection for an additional fee.
On-The-Go: Ultimate Mobility and Protection
For active seniors who are always moving, ADT Health’s On-The-Go system is the perfect companion. This best medical alert system includes a mobile device with GPS location tracking, ensuring your safety wherever you go. The device is water-resistant and comes with a help pendant for emergency calls.
With AT&T’s cellular connection, you can enjoy reliable service and peace of mind knowing that help is just a button press away. While fall detection is available as an add-on, it’s worth noting that ADT Health does not offer a companion mobile app for location tracking.
ADT Health’s best medical alert systems have several advantages that make them stand out in the industry. Here are some key pros of choosing ADT for your safety and security needs:
- Reputable Brand: ADT is a well-known and trusted brand in the home security industry, providing peace of mind and reliability.
- 24/7 Monitoring Center: With ADT’s 24/7 monitoring center, you can rest assured that trained professionals can assist you in any emergency.
- Variety of Life Alert Systems: ADT Health offers multiple system options to cater to different needs and preferences, ensuring a suitable solution for everyone.
- Temperature Monitoring: Temperature monitoring in the Basic and Plus systems adds an extra layer of protection, alerting you to potential hazards in your home.
- Waterproof Help Buttons: The help buttons provided with ADT’s systems are waterproof, allowing you to wear them even while bathing or showering.
- Fall Detection: Adding fall detection to the Plus and On-The-Go systems provides security for those at higher risk of falls.
3. Medical Guardian – Best GPS Life Alert Systems
Medical Guardian is a renowned provider of the best medical alert systems, offering a wide range of devices and services to ensure the safety and well-being of older adults. With their commitment to customization, reliable equipment, and exceptional customer support, Medical Guardian has established itself as one of the leading companies in the industry.
Medical Guardian offers an extensive selection of life alert systems and services tailored to older adults’ unique needs and preferences. Here are the key features that set Medical Guardian apart from its competitors:
- OnGuard Alert: A real-time emergency notification service that provides instant alerts to you and your designated care network, such as caregivers or family members. You can choose to receive alerts via text or email, ensuring that help is just a click away. This feature costs an additional $2.99 monthly and allows you to add up to four contacts.
- Wireless Wall Button: A convenient device that allows you to quickly call for help in rooms without a base unit, such as bathrooms and kitchens. You can immediately contact the monitoring center in an emergency by simply pressing the button. Like OnGuard Alert, the Wireless Wall Button is available for an extra $2.99 monthly.
- Voice-Activated Wall Button: It takes convenience to the next level by allowing you to call for help simply by saying the key phrase, “Help me, help me!” This innovative feature activates an alert to the monitoring center if you are within 500 feet of your base station. For an additional $4.99 per month, you can enjoy the benefits of voice-activated assistance.
- Protection Plan: It offers comprehensive coverage and peace of mind by providing repairs and replacements for medical alert devices damaged by wear and tear, accidents, spills, or power surges. This plan also includes unlimited technical support, ensuring you always have assistance. The Protection Plan costs an extra $6.99 per month.
- Fall Detection: A critical feature for older adults, as falls can result in serious injuries. Medical Guardian offers the option to add fall detection to their devices for an additional $10 monthly. This feature automatically detects falls and notifies emergency services, providing an added layer of safety.
- Elite 911: Unique device that connects you directly to the nearest 911 operator in the United States or Canada. Unlike other medical alert devices that connect to a monitoring center, Elite 911 bypasses the center and establishes a direct line to emergency services. This feature is available for an additional $9.99 monthly.
- Wearable Devices: Medical Guardian offers a range of wearable devices to suit different lifestyles and preferences. From necklaces to wristbands, their wearable options ensure you can always have your medical alert system within reach.
Medical Guardian’s commitment to customization and quality has earned them several advantages over their competitors. Here are the key pros of choosing Medical Guardian:
- Wide Selection of Equipment: Medical Guardian offers a diverse range of equipment options, ensuring that you can find the perfect fit for your needs. From basic in-home systems to mobile systems, their extensive selection allows you to choose the best device for your lifestyle.
- Industry-Leading Range: One of Medical Guardian’s standout features is its impressive range. With devices reaching up to 1,400 feet from the base station, you can enjoy the freedom to move around your home and even venture into your backyard without losing connectivity.
- Reliable Backup Battery: In the event of a power outage, Medical Guardian’s devices are equipped with a backup battery that can last up to 32 hours. This ensures that you remain protected even when faced with unexpected disruptions in your power supply.
- Five Diamond Certified Monitoring Center
- Medical Guardian’s monitoring center is Five Diamond certified, indicating the highest standard of excellence in the industry. With their experienced and dedicated team, you can trust that your emergency calls will be handled promptly and efficiently.
- Free Pendant Battery Replacement: Medical Guardian goes the extra mile to ensure that you always have a fully functional device. They offer free pendant battery replacements, ensuring that your device remains operational and ready to assist you when needed.
4. Bay Alarm Medical – Most Affordable Medical Alert Devices
Bay Alarm Medical understands this and provides reliable and efficient medical alert systems to ensure immediate assistance is just a button press away. With over 75 years of experience in the industry, Bay Alarm Medical has established itself as one of the best medical alert systems providers in the United States.
Bay Alarm Medical offers a range of key features that set it apart from its competitors:
- Quick emergency response time, averaging between 1 to 15 seconds, ensuring prompt assistance.
- Large and easily accessible help buttons, designed for ease of use, even in stressful situations.
- Multilingual communication in over 170 languages, catering to diverse user needs.
- Automatic fall detection – optional feature that provides an added layer of protection for individuals at risk of falls.
- GPS location tracking in mobile medical alert systems, enabling precise identification of the user’s location.
Bay Alarm Medical boasts several advantages that make it an excellent choice for individuals seeking the best medical alert systems:
- 24/7 availability of trained operators who can assess situations and provide appropriate assistance.
- User tracking capabilities for caregivers through the mobile app, allow them to stay informed about their loved ones’ whereabouts.
- Affordable packages with transparent pricing, locked-in prices, and no hidden fees.
- Nationwide service coverage, ensuring access to help wherever you are in the United States.
- A 30-day free trial period, allows users to test the system and ensure it meets their needs.
- A+ rating on the Better Business Bureau, reflecting the company’s commitment to customer satisfaction.
5. Medical Alert – Best Reliable Medical Alert Devices
Medical Alert operates under Connect America, offering the best medical alert systems and catering to healthcare providers with sales of remote patient monitoring and medication management items. Medical Alert operates a 24/7 monitoring center within the United States, featuring proficient multilingual operators, thereby avoiding dependence on translation services.
When considering a medical alert system, evaluating the key features that meet your specific needs is important. Here are the essential features to look for:
In-Home and On-the-Go Options
Medical Alert offers in-home and on-the-go systems catering to different lifestyles and preferences. The in-home systems include a base unit and a waterproof help button that can be worn around the neck or wrist, with a range of up to 800 feet.
On the other hand, the on-the-go system provides a two-way GPS mobile medical alert system with a help button that can be worn as a bracelet or necklace, allowing users to stay protected at home and outside.
24/7 U.S.-Based Monitoring
One of the standout features of Medical Alert is its 24/7 U.S.-based monitoring center staffed with multilingual operators. Unlike some providers that rely on translation services, Medical Alert ensures that users receive immediate assistance from trained professionals who can effectively communicate in emergencies.
Medical Alert offers an optional fall detection feature for an additional monthly fee. By wearing a special pendant that monitors changes in barometric pressure and accelerated movement, users can receive automatic alerts in the event of a fall. This feature is particularly beneficial for individuals at a higher risk of falls or those who want an added layer of protection.
Subscribers of Medical Alert can download the Medical Alert Connect app, which allows caregivers to track the location of their loved ones and receive notifications when the help button is pressed. This convenient app enhances the overall user experience, providing both users and their caregivers peace of mind.
Waterproof and Lightweight Devices
All medical alert devices provided by Medical Alert are waterproof, ensuring that they can be worn in the shower or during water-related activities without the risk of damage. Additionally, the devices are designed to be lightweight and discreet, allowing users to wear them throughout the day comfortably.
Medical Alert has several advantages, making it a top choice among users. Here are the key pros of choosing Medical Alert:
- Affordable Pricing: Medical Alert offers competitive pricing, making its systems accessible to various budgets. With options for monthly, semiannual, and annual payment plans, users can choose the payment schedule that best suits their needs.
- Reliable Connectivity: Medical Alert ensures reliable connectivity whether you opt for the landline or cellular system. The landline system is an excellent choice for those with an existing landline. In contrast, the cellular system is ideal for users without a landline or prefer a wireless connection.
- Prompt Response Time: In our testing, Medical Alert demonstrated an impressive response time, with live operators answering emergency calls within seconds. This quick response ensures that users can receive immediate assistance when needed.
- Free Lockbox: One standout feature of Medical Alert is the inclusion of a free lockbox with the purchase of an annual plan. This lockbox allows first responders to access the user’s home in emergencies, ensuring swift and efficient aid.
- Multilingual Support: With a 24/7 U.S.-based monitoring center staffed with multilingual operators, Medical Alert caters to individuals who prefer assistance in languages other than English. This feature ensures effective communication and support for a diverse user base.
6. LifeStation – Best Medical Alert Systems With Fast Response Time
One reputable brand in this industry is LifeStation, a family-owned company providing one of the best medical alert systems for over 40 years. LifeStation offers a range of products designed to cater to different lifestyles and needs, including at-home and on-the-go monitoring options.
Key Features of LifeStation
LifeStation provides several notable features that make it stand out among its competitors. Here are some of the key features offered by LifeStation’s medical alert systems:
At-Home and On-the-Go Monitoring
LifeStation offers at-home and on-the-go monitoring options, catering to individuals who spend most of their time indoors and those with active lifestyles who require protection wherever they go.
The at-home system consists of a base station with a 600-foot range and a wearable pendant or watch. The on-the-go option, the Sidekick, is a pendant or watch equipped with GPS and WiFi capabilities.
One of the standout features of LifeStation’s devices is their ability to detect falls using specialized sensors. In the event of a fall, the device can automatically send your location to emergency services and designated loved ones, ensuring prompt assistance.
While fall detection is not included in the base price, it can be added as an optional feature for an additional cost.
Waterproof and Shower-Safe
LifeStation’s at-home system is fully waterproof, making it safe for use in the shower. This is a significant advantage as many other medical alert systems are not designed to withstand contact with water. With LifeStation, individuals can confidently wear their devices while bathing, reducing the risk of accidents in the bathroom.
Lightweight and Portable
The LifeStation devices are lightweight and portable, allowing for easy and comfortable daily use. The wearable pendants and watches are designed to be discreet and unobtrusive, ensuring users can carry them without feeling burdened. The Sidekick Mobile, in particular, is a popular choice for older adults with active lifestyles, providing protection wherever they go.
No Setup or Activation Fees
One of the advantages of choosing LifeStation is the absence of setup fees, equipment fees, and activation fees (except for the Sidekick Smart Wearable Medical Alert). This means that users can start using their devices without any additional upfront costs. LifeStation also offers flexible payment options, allowing users to choose between monthly, quarterly, or annual payments.
- Availability of both remote and in-home versions
- Fall detection feature for immediate help
- Lightweight monitor
- Waterproof in-home version
- Range of price points
- No setup, equipment, or activation fees (except for smartwatch)
- No contracts; users can cancel anytime
7. Lifeline – Easiest to Use Medical Alert Devices
Lifeline, a well-established brand in the industry, offers a range of medical alerts designed to cater to different needs and preferences.
Lifeline offers two main systems: HomeSafe Standard and On the Go. Let’s take a closer look at the key features of each system.
The HomeSafe Standard system is ideal for seniors who primarily stay at home and require a reliable medical alert system. It comes with the following features:
- Affordability: Priced at $29.95 per month, the HomeSafe Standard landline system is a cost-effective option for budget-conscious individuals.
- In-home Communicator: The system includes a base station, known as the in-home communicator, which serves as a communication hub between the user and the Lifeline emergency response center.
- Wearable Pendant or Wristband: Lifeline provides a lightweight and waterproof pendant or wristband, allowing users to easily call for help by pressing a button.
- Fall Detection: For an additional $15 per month, users can upgrade to the HomeSafe with AutoAlert system, which includes automatic fall detection. This feature is particularly beneficial for seniors at a higher risk of falling.
On the Go
The On the Go system is designed for active seniors requiring life-alert devices at home and away. Here are its notable features:
- Versatility: The On the Go system offers flexibility and mobility, allowing users to wear the mobile pendant while engaging in various activities outside their homes.
- Built-in Fall Detection: Unlike the HomeSafe Standard system, the On the Go system includes automatic fall detection as a standard feature, ensuring prompt assistance in case of a fall.
- AT&T Cellular Service: The system utilizes AT&T cellular service for communication with the Lifeline monitoring center, providing coverage across the continental United States.
- GPS Technology: The On the Go system can pinpoint the user’s location with integrated GPS technology, enabling quick and accurate emergency response.
Lifeline’s best medical alert systems offer several advantages, making them a popular choice among seniors and their families. Let’s explore the key benefits:
- Extensive Industry Experience: Lifeline boasts a wealth of experience in the medical alert system industry, instilling confidence in its reliability and expertise.
- Affordability: The HomeSafe Standard landline system is $29.95 per month, providing a cost-effective option for seniors on a budget.
- Automatic Fall Detection: Lifeline’s AutoAlert feature, available in the HomeSafe with AutoAlert and On the Go systems, offers peace of mind with its automatic fall detection capabilities.
- Wearable and Waterproof: The lightweight and waterproof pendants or wristbands provided with Lifeline systems are convenient and can be worn at all times.
- Lifeline Cares App: Lifeline offers the Lifeline Cares mobile app, allowing users to manage their service, communicate with caregivers, and stay connected with their care circle.
8. Aloe Care Health – Best Medical Alert Systems With Caregiver Features
Aloe Care Health, a New York-based company, has offered advanced medical alert and communication services for eldercare since 2018. Their innovative solution includes a plug-and-play Aloe Care Smart Hub, which allows adults to request assistance using their voice or a standard button.
The system is designed to provide support to caregivers through its family app.
The Aloe Care life alert systems have features that make it stand out among other medical alert systems. Here’s a comprehensive look:
- Voice-Activated Smart Hub connects directly to a 24/7 emergency response center. It has air sensors that measure CO2 and VOC levels, temperature sensors, and two microphones. Through voice recognition, users can connect with caregivers and/or emergency services anytime.
- Mobile Companion Go: This wearable device has 4G capabilities, which means it works even outside the home. It offers always-on, on-the-go protection with built-in fall detection and nationwide GPS.
- Cost: Aloe Care Health offers four different packages ranging from $29.99 to $49.99 per month. The upfront equipment cost varies from $99.99 to $349.99, depending on the package.
- Care Collaboration App: This app is available for both iOS and Android users. It is designed for personal and professional caregivers to communicate with each other and the user. The app is included with all packages.
- Motion Sensors: These sensors are designed to detect activity in the central areas of the home. They also monitor room temperature.
Aloe Care Health’s best medical alert systems have many advantages:
- Fall Detection: Unlike many other life alert systems, Aloe Care’s fall detection doesn’t require a necklace. The fall sensor is built into the device. A built-in speaker and microphone can offer immediate assistance after a fall.
- Activity Monitoring: The system allows for activity monitoring in multiple rooms, benefiting seniors living independently.
- Ease of Setup: The system is easy to install. With voice prompts guiding you through the process, you can get your system up and running in minutes.
- Responsive Customer Service: Aloe Care Health’s responsive and professional customer service. The average response time to emergency calls is less than 20 seconds.
Understanding the Importance of the Best Medical Alert Systems
Medical alert systems play a pivotal role in ensuring the safety of seniors, especially those living alone or with chronic health conditions. As people age, they become more susceptible to falls and health emergencies.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), one out of every five falls causes a serious injury such as broken bones or a head injury. The best medical alert system can be a lifeline in such a situation, enabling immediate medical attention. 
An important feature of the best medical alert systems is their ability to provide round-the-clock monitoring. This is especially crucial for seniors who may have cognitive impairments, such as Alzheimer’s disease or dementia, where memory loss and confusion can lead to dangerous situations. 
Moreover, these life alert systems can provide the added benefit of medication reminders, wellness checks, and daily activity monitoring. They can also offer GPS location services, which can be beneficial for seniors prone to wandering due to cognitive impairments or for those active and often out and about.
The Role of Medical Alert Systems in Ensuring Safety for Seniors
The primary role of the best medical alert system is to ensure that seniors get the help they need as quickly as possible during an emergency. The system allows seniors to press a button on their wearable device when they need assistance, which signals the monitoring center.
The trained professionals at the center can then communicate with the senior through the system’s base unit, assess the situation, and send the appropriate emergency services if needed.
Moreover, the best medical alert systems can include fall detection technology. This feature can automatically detect if the wearer has fallen and send a signal to the monitoring center, even if it the wearer is unable to press the emergency button. This can be a key feature, considering that falls are a leading cause of injury among seniors.
Not only do medical alert systems provide a direct line of assistance in emergencies, but they also offer seniors and their families peace of mind. Families can rest easier knowing that their elderly loved ones have a way to call for help instantly.
Features to Look for in the Best Medical Alert Systems
When choosing the best medical alert system, several features should be considered.
Live 24/7 Monitoring
Live 24/7 monitoring is a must-have feature in a medical alert system. It ensures you’re always connected to an emergency response agent, regardless of the time of day.
Automatic Fall Detection
Automatic fall detection is another critical feature to consider. It uses technology such as accelerometers and processors to sense if you’ve had a fall and automatically notifies the call center.
Some of the best medical alert systems offer additional wall buttons for high-risk areas like the bathroom, kitchen, or stairwells. These buttons work like wearable pendants and send a signal to the base station, which then communicates with the call center.
Lockboxes are a useful feature to consider. They hold an extra key for emergency responders, preventing the need for them to break down a locked door during emergencies.
If you want to keep the wearable component of the best medical alert system on you while bathing or showering, ensure that it is water-resistant.
GPS tracking is beneficial for active seniors or those with memory loss. This feature alerts family members about the user’s location.
Activity monitoring tracks the user’s movement and notifies family members if their loved one hasn’t shown signs of movement for an extended period.
Medication reminders are another useful feature some of the best medical alert systems offer. These scheduled notifications can help keep aging adults compliant with their healthcare plans.
Medical Alert Systems for Seniors: No Monthly Fee Options
While most life alert systems require a monthly fee for their 24/7 monitoring service, some options are available that do not. These systems typically involve a higher upfront cost for the equipment but have no ongoing fees.
When the emergency button is pressed, these systems work by dialing pre-programmed numbers, such as family members, neighbors, or 911. While they do not offer professional monitoring, they can provide protection and peace of mind.
However, it’s important to note that these no-monthly fee options may offer a different level of service or features than systems with professional monitoring. For instance, they may not have fall detection or GPS location services.
Personal Emergency Response System: How it Works
A Personal Emergency Response System (PERS) is a type of medical alert system that allows individuals to call for help in an emergency. The system typically consists of a base unit and a wearable device with an emergency button.
When the button is pressed, the system dials a pre-programmed number, such as a family member, friend, or 911. Some systems also offer professional monitoring, where the call goes to a monitoring center staffed by trained professionals who can assess the situation and dispatch appropriate help.
Many PERS also include features like fall detection, which can automatically signal for help if a fall is detected, and two-way communication, which allows the user to speak directly with the monitoring center. 
The Role of the Elderly Emergency Button in the Best Medical Alert Systems
The elderly emergency button is a crucial component of the best medical alert system. This button, usually found on a wearable device like a pendant or wristband, allows seniors to call for help in an emergency. With a single press, the button sends a signal to the system’s base unit and the monitoring center.
When the user cannot speak or reach a telephone, the emergency button can be a lifesaver. Its simplicity and ease of use make these safety alerts for seniors, especially those with health issues or mobility challenges.
Moreover, many emergency buttons are waterproof, allowing them to be worn in the shower or bath, places where falls commonly occur. Some systems also offer fall detection technology in their emergency buttons, automatically signaling for help if a fall is detected.
Best Medical Alert System: FAQ
What Are Life Alert Systems?
A life alert system is a device that allows seniors to call for help in an emergency with the press of a button. The system typically consists of a base unit and a wearable device with an emergency button.
How Do the Best Medical Alert Systems Work?
A signal is sent to a 24/7 monitoring center when the emergency button is pressed. Trained professionals at the center can then communicate with the seniors and send appropriate help.
What Features Should the Best Medical Alert Systems Have?
The best medical alert systems should be easy to use, have a 24/7 professional monitoring service, offer fall detection, and provide GPS location services. The wearable life alert systems should be comfortable and waterproof.
Are There Medical Alert Systems With No Monthly Fees?
Yes, life alert systems that do not require a monthly fee are available. Most medical alert systems typically involve a higher upfront cost for the equipment but have no ongoing fees.
How Do the Best Medical Alert Systems Work?
In a technical sense, medical alert devices generally use small radio transmitters to contact their base stations (if applicable), which use cellular or landline networks to connect with monitoring centers or emergency contacts.
Conclusion: Choosing the Best Medical Alert Systems for Your Needs
In conclusion, choosing the right medical alert system depends on the unique needs of the senior. Factors to consider include the features of the system, such as fall detection and GPS tracking, the response time of the monitoring center, and the comfort and ease of use of the wearable device.
Some of the best medical alert systems available include Mobile Help, ADT, and Medical Guardian.
Whether opting for a system with professional monitoring or a no monthly fee option, the important thing is that the senior feels comfortable and safe with the system. After all, the main purpose of life alert systems is to reassure seniors that help is readily available at the press of a button.
Choosing the best medical alert systems can provide safety and security for seniors and peace of mind for their loved ones. Ultimately, it’s about ensuring that seniors can maintain their independence while having the protection they need.
 – Falls and Fractures in Older Adults: Causes and Prevention. (n.d.). National Institute on Aging. https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/falls-and-fractures-older-adults-causes-and-prevention, (Assessed on 18 August 2023)
 – You SH, Jung SY, Lee HJ, Kim S, Yang E; SAVER team. Incorporating a real-time automatic alerting system based on electronic medical records could improve rapid response systems: a retrospective cohort study. Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2021 Dec 4;29(1):164. doi: 10.1186/s13049-021-00979-y. PMID: 34863275; PMCID: PMC8643026.
 – Facts About Falls | Fall Prevention | Injury Center | CDC. (n.d.). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/falls/facts.html (Assessed on 18 August 2023)
 – Assessing Cognitive Impairment in Older Patients. (n.d.). National Institute on Aging. https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/assessing-cognitive-impairment-older-patients (Assessed on 18 August 2023)
 – Stokke R. The Personal Emergency Response System as a Technology Innovation in Primary Health Care Services: An Integrative Review. J Med Internet Res. 2016 Jul 14;18(7):e187. doi: 10.2196/jmir.5727. PMID: 27417422; PMCID: PMC4965612.