Best Over the Counter Hearing Aids Reviews: Price, Sound Quality, and Features Comparison
DISCLAIMER: This is paid content. All opinions and views are of the advertiser and do not reflect the same of WISH-TV. The content presented on this page has been created and provided entirely by the advertiser.
Are you finding it increasingly difficult to keep up with conversations, or feel like you’re constantly asking people to repeat themselves?
Hearing loss is a common challenge many face, but the high costs and complexities of traditional hearing aids can deter people from seeking help. Luckily, over-the-counter (OTC) hearing aids like Jabra Enhance are rising as a promising solution, combining affordability with effectiveness for those with mild to moderate hearing loss.
This comprehensive guide will explore what OTC hearing aids are, who they are suitable for, their benefits and limitations, and where to buy hearing aids over the counter.
What are Over the Counter (OTC) Hearing Aids?
Over the counter hearing aids are a new category of hearing aids that consumers can purchase directly without needing a hearing health professional visit. The FDA regulates these devices as medical devices intended to assist adults with perceived mild to moderate hearing loss.
The best over the counter hearing aids amplify sounds, helping individuals with hearing difficulties to listen better, communicate, and engage in daily activities .
The Best Over the Counter Hearing Aids on the Market
- Jabra Enhance – Overall Best Over the Counter Hearing Aids
- Audien – Most Affordable Over the Counter Hearing Aids
- MDHearing – Most Versatile Option
- Elehear – Best for Advanced Features
- Audicus – Best for Sound Auality
- Oticon – Best for Wide Range of Options
- Starkey – Best for Tinnitus
- Phonak – Best for Severe Hearing Loss
- Widex – Best RIC Option
- Eargo – Best for Comfort
Jabra Enhance – Overall Best Over the Counter Hearing Aids
- Support from the audiology team for three years
- Free hearing test you can take online
- Guaranteed refund within 100 days
- Jabra Enhance app offers remote settings adjustment
- Enhance Select models can be customizable for your hearing loss
- Only remote audiology support offered
The Jabra Enhance hearing aids are designed to cater to individuals with varying degrees of hearing loss, ranging from mild to profound.
Available over the counter, the Enhance Select and Enhance Plus models are tailored for those with mild to moderate hearing loss. The Enhance Pro 10 model is available for individuals with a prescription, exclusively through Costco, addressing mild to profound hearing loss.
Jabra Enhance is a brand by GN Hearing. It offers a variety of hearing aid styles, including Receiver-in-Canal (RIC), In-The-Ear (ITE), and Receiver-In-Ear (RIE) models, all featuring medical-grade technology to cater to different hearing loss levels.
Why We Chose Jabra Enhance
- Variety of Models: Jabra offers a range of models to cater to different levels of hearing loss, including the Enhance Select 50, 100, and 200, as well as Enhance Plus and Enhance Pro 10 models.
- Bluetooth connectivity across all models for seamless synchronization with mobile devices, enabling users to adjust settings via the Jabra Enhance app.
- Advanced noise reduction technology and proprietary microprocessor for improved speech clarity.
- Design: Compact, discreet, and comfortable designs, offering styles such as Receiver-In-Canal (RIC), In-The-Ear (ITE), and Receiver-In-Ear (RIE).
- User-Friendly: The hearing aids are custom-programmed based on users’ test results for a personalized sound experience right out of the box.
Jabra Enhance Best Over the Counter Hearing Aids Cost
Prices start between $799 and $1,195 per pair.
The warranty offerings for Jabra Enhance devices vary across models. The premium service plan comes with a remarkable three-year warranty, covering three years of remote support for adjustments with audiology professionals.
Some models, like the Enhance Select, come with a one-year limited warranty, while others have a two-year warranty period. Also, a 100-day risk-free trial is offered, allowing users to test the hearing aids and return if they are not satisfied.
Jabra Enhance Hearing Aids stands out in the over-the-counter hearing aid market for their discreet design, Bluetooth-enabled connectivity, and a variety of models catering to different degrees of hearing loss.
The long-term warranty options, coupled with professional remote support and a risk-free trial period, reflect Jabra’s confidence in their product and commitment to customer satisfaction.
Audien – Most Affordable Over the Counter Hearing Aids
- Suitable for mild to moderate hearing loss ranging
- No hearing testing is required to purchase
- Affordable prices with models starting at $99 per pair
- Discreet and comfortable design
- Come with additional domes for better fit
- Lacks advanced features
Audien is known for its budget-friendly hearing aids that cater to individuals with mild to moderate hearing loss. Established in 2016, the company aims to make hearing aids accessible to all by offering products at a fraction of the cost of traditional hearing aids.
Audien provides a cost-effective solution for those in need of hearing assistance; their over the counter hearing aids cost between $89 and $289 per pair.
Why We Chose Audien
- Affordability: Audien’s hearing aids are priced significantly lower than many other brands in the market, making them a budget-friendly choice.
- Discreet Design: The in-the-canal design of Audien hearing aids makes them more discreet compared to some behind-the-ear models, which could be a selling point for individuals concerned about aesthetics.
- Sound Quality: Some models feature advanced sound technologies like the A2 Max™ chip for enhanced sound and background noise reduction, and Atom sound technology for feedback cancellation.
- Protection Plan: Audien offers a protection plan covering lost, defective, broken, or water-damaged devices at a minimal cost.
Audien Best Over the Counter Hearing Aids Cost
Prices for Audien hearing aids range from $89 to $289 per pair.
Audien provides a one-year warranty on its hearing aids, giving customers a sense of security and assurance. Additionally, the company offers a protection plan for either $4 a month or $34 a year, which covers lost, defective, broken, or water-damaged devices, with a low replacement fee for each model under the plan.
Audien offers affordable hearing aids for individuals with mild to moderate hearing loss. The brand has stripped down the complexities often associated with hearing aids to deliver a straightforward, easy-to-use product.
MDHearing – Most Versatile Option
- Offers medical-grade hearing devices
- Affordable hearing aid protection plan
- All models are rechargeable
- Feedback cancellation
- Product protection package bought separately for extended coverage
MDHearing offers a range of hearing aids renowned for their versatility to cater to a wide spectrum of hearing needs. With customizable models alongside a “one size fits most” model, they provide options for different users.
The brand showcases a blend of affordability and functionality, with their hearing aids priced competitively compared to the market standards.
Why We Chose MDHearing
- Variety of Models: With four different models, namely NEO, AIR, VOLT, and VOLT MAX, MDHearing provides a range of options to choose from, catering to different hearing needs.
- Customizable Options: MDHearing provides customizable hearing aids as well as a model designed to accommodate the hearing needs of most individuals, enhancing its versatility.
- Advanced Digital Technology: The brand’s best-selling model, Air, features advanced digital technology, high-quality sound, and three environment settings for quiet, social, and noisy scenarios.
- Accessory Compatibility: MDHearing offers a wide range of compatible accessories and an app available on smartphones or tablets, enhancing the user experience.
MDHearing Best Over the Counter Hearing Aids Cost
The AIR and NEO models currently cost $297 per pair, while the VOLT costs $397. The VOLT MAX is priced at $699.98 including VIP care.
A one-year warranty from MDHearing covers any issues with parts, materials, or workmanship. A subscription to MDShield, a protection plan, is a slight expense at $9.99 per month.
MDHearing emerges as a brand of choice for individuals seeking versatile and affordable over-the-counter hearing aids. The variety of models, customizable options, and user-friendly features such as preset hearing environments and digital technology, make it a compelling option.
Elehear – Best for Advanced Features
- Elehear app offers a personalized experience
- Feedback control through advanced AI technology
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Rechargeable batteries
- Offers only two models
Elehear presents a modern solution in the over the counter hearing aid market with its AI-powered devices, particularly the Elehear Alpha and Alpha Pro models. These hearing aids are designed to prioritize advanced features without compromising on affordability.
Why We Chose Elehear
- AI-Powered Technology: Elehear leverages Artificial Intelligence (AI) to enhance sound clarity by effectively distinguishing human voices from background noise, which is crucial for a clear listening experience.
- VoClear Technology and Remote Fitting: The Alpha AI model incorporates VoClear technology and offers remote fitting services, allowing users to receive a personalized setup without the need for an in-person appointment.
- Comprehensive App Control: The Elehear app facilitates personalized settings, enabling users to adjust noise reduction speech focus and choose between sound profiles for different environments like restaurants or outdoor settings.
- Physical Volume Controls: Physical volume controls on each earpiece provide a discrete way for users to make adjustments, a feature that has been appreciated for its convenience.
Elehear Best Over the Counter Hearing Aids Cost
Alpha Pro starts at a special launch price of $499, but Elehear Alpha is more affordable at $399.
Elehear provides a 45-day money-back guarantee along with a 1-year warranty, which is a testament to the brand’s confidence in the quality and performance of their products. This warranty period provides a safety net for users in case of any manufacturing defects or other issues encountered within the first year of use.
Elehear hearing aids embody a blend of cutting-edge technology and user-centric design, offering a promising choice for individuals seeking advanced features in over the counter hearing aids.
The range of models, including the Elehear Alpha and Alpha Pro, comes with a spectrum of features powered by AI and other modern technologies, making them stand out in a crowded market.
Audicus – Best for Sound Quality
- Offers rechargeable and battery-replaceable models
- More affordable with Audicus Premier
- Different payment options
- Custom-programmed with unlimited, lifetime support
- Only four in-person locations are available
Audicus offers a range of over the counter hearing aids known for their sound quality and affordable pricing. They were one of the pioneers in providing remotely programmed hearing aids delivered directly to customers’ doors.
Why We Chose Audicus
- Sound Quality: Audicus products are appreciated for their sound quality, especially in the advanced models like the Omni and Spirit Series 2, which offer an enhanced sound experience with features like “speech finder.”
- Affordable Pricing: Audicus over the counter hearing aids cost between $699 and $1,399, which is quite competitive considering the quality and features offered.
- Technological Advancements: Some notable technological features include simultaneous Bluetooth connection to multiple devices, larger memory, faster environment scanning and processing, and remote adjustment capabilities.
- Ease of Purchase and Reprogramming: Audicus has a streamlined purchasing process and offers a quick turnaround time for reprogramming hearing aids, making it a convenient choice for many.
Audicus Best Over the Counter Hearing Aids Cost
Prices range between $699 and $1399 per ear.
A 24-month manufacturer’s warranty covers connectors, over the counter hearing aids, and remotes against manufacturing defects.
Audicus stands out for its sound quality among OTC hearing aids, offering a variety of models with advanced technological features at competitive prices. The brand simplifies the buying process by programming hearing aids remotely based on online or existing hearing tests, shipping them directly to the customers.
Oticon – Best for Wide Range of Options
- Oticon ON app creates a one-of-a-kind listening experience
- Full-sphere, enveloping audio
- Play audio from wireless devices like TVs
- Uses the IFTTT service to link up with the web
- Higher price tag compared to alternatives
- Must visit an authorized Oticon hearing care provider to purchase
Oticon, with roots tracing back to 1904, stands as a strong competitor in the hearing care industry, offering a vast range of hearing aid models to cater to different types and severities of hearing loss.
Why We Chose Oticon Real
- Wide Range of Options: Oticon boasts about 40 hearing aid models, providing solutions for mild to profound hearing loss and even one-sided deafness.
- Cutting-Edge Technology: Uses deep neural network technology in Oticon More, for instance, to provide a richer sound experience.
- High-Quality Streaming: Direct streaming is available from iPhone and select Android devices, enhancing the user experience.
- Tinnitus SoundSupport: Some models offer relief from tinnitus through a range of soothing sounds controlled via the Oticon ON app.
- Rechargeable Models: Offer models with lithium-ion-based rechargeable batteries, providing up to three full charges without access to a power outlet.
Oticon Best Over the Counter Hearing Aids Cost
Doesn’t offer prices on the official website. You can learn more about purchasing Oticon hearing devices when you visit a hearing care professional near you.
Oticon hearing aids reviews show the brand offers a limited warranty covering material defects and manufacturing for 12 months. It doesn’t cover things like earpieces, tubing, or batteries. Your audiologist can give you an extra warranty, usually lasting one to three years.
Oticon stands out for its wide range of hearing aid options and advanced technological features that aim to deliver a natural hearing experience. Whether you’re looking for tailored solutions or user-friendly connectivity options, Oticon has a diverse lineup of models to meet various hearing needs.
Starkey – Best for Tinnitus
- Offers advanced tinnitus technology
- Both rechargeable and removable-battery models are available
- Available in most hearing centers
- Free trial for thirty days with a 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Only available for sale through medical professionals
Starkey is well-regarded for its hearing aids that come with tinnitus technology to alleviate the discomfort caused by tinnitus. This feature, along with good sound quality and feedback management, is noted by customers to be beneficial.
Why We Chose Starkey
- Fall Detection: Artificial intelligence (AI) included in the Starkey Evolv AI can recognize a fall. Plus, the app can get you the required assistance and let individuals close to you know that you have fallen.
- Advanced Tinnitus Technology: Models like Evolv AI and Livio Edge AI come with advanced tinnitus technology that helps in managing tinnitus. These over the counter hearing aids for tinnitus also have other features like feedback management and wireless streaming.
Starkey Best Over the Counter Hearing Aids Cost
Starkey doesn’t list prices on their official site. For information on buying Starkey over the counter hearing aids, consult a local hearing care expert.
Starkey hearing aids typically come with a 3-year warranty, which includes a one-time replacement for loss, theft, and damage.
Starkey’s over the counter hearing aids are a strong contender for individuals battling tinnitus, thanks to their advanced tinnitus technology. Various models cater to different levels of hearing loss and come with additional features like feedback management and wireless streaming.
Phonak – Best for Severe Hearing Loss
- Top of the line for severe to profound hearing loss
- Active noise cancellation
- Wide range of hearing aid accessories
- Some models are waterproof
- Higher price
- Only available from a licensed provider
Phonak is a global leader in the best hearing aid over the counter industry, with products sold in over 100 countries through a network of local hearing clinics. The company has been providing hearing solutions for over 70 years, and it’s known for its robust solutions for severe hearing loss.
Why We Chose Phonak
- Wide Range of Models: Phonak boasts a variety of models catering to different levels of hearing loss, including severe to profound cases. Models such as the Naída Marvel are specifically designed for severe to profound hearing loss.
- Technological Advancements: Features like AutoSense 5.0, direct connectivity to iOS, Android, or other Bluetooth-enabled devices, and lithium-ion battery technology stand out in the Phonak Audéo Lumity model.
Phonak Best Over the Counter Hearing Aids Cost
Phonak hearing aid prices aren’t listed on its official website. Consult a nearby hearing care specialist to get more information on buying Phonak devices.
Phonak hearing aids purchased in the U.S. come with a one- to three-year manufacturer warranty, depending on the model chosen. Extended warranties can also be purchased through hearing health professionals, providing added assurance to users.
Phonak emerges as a compelling choice for individuals with severe hearing loss, owing to its wide spectrum of models and cutting-edge technology. The brand’s commitment to innovation is evident in features like live phone call transcription and robust Bluetooth connectivity, enhancing the user experience.
Widex – Best RIC Option
- Streaming on iOS and Android directly
- Personalization through the use of AI
- Rapid charging system powered by fuel cells
- The Zen app is designed to help with tinnitus
- Widex hearing aids are on the higher end of the price spectrum
Widex is a renowned name in the hearing aid industry, well-regarded for its Receiver-In-Canal (RIC) over the counter hearing aids. With a strong reputation for superior sound quality and innovation, their RIC hearing aids are designed to provide a natural and comfortable hearing experience, especially for musicians.
Why We Chose Widex
- Sound Quality:
- Renowned for superior sound quality with features like PureSound technology in the Widex Moment model, which delivers a clear and natural sound.
- Known for having the fastest processing time, facilitating more natural, real-time sound quality with less echo.
- Customization and Special Features: Features like PureSound, SoundSense, and Widex Zen Therapy provide customization options and additional benefits like tinnitus relief.
- Accessories and Apps: Offers a range of accessories and apps to enhance the user experience, such as the Moment app for controlling Moment hearing aid models and the COM-DEX system for streaming from any Bluetooth device to the hearing aids.
Widex Best Over the Counter Hearing Aids Cost
Widex over the counter hearing aids costs are not listed on its official site. Use the ‘Shop Finder’ tool on the website to find a nearby specialist and get more information.
Widex provides a three-year manufacturer’s warranty on its hearing aids, with the possibility of an additional warranty through your audiologist. However, it’s crucial to note that any online sales that don’t require face-to-face meetings with a licensed professional for diagnosis, fitting, and maintenance void Widex warranties.
Widex’s RIC over the counter hearing aids are an exemplary choice for individuals seeking superior sound quality and a range of customization options, like musicians. Their innovative technology, particularly showcased in the Widex Moment model, offers a natural sound experience.
Eargo – Best for Comfort
- Proprietary Petal tips offer maximum comfort
- Sound Adjust refines and improves sound quality
- Four CIC devices
- 12-36 month payment plans are available for financing
- Only available in pairs
Eargo is especially recognized for the comfort provided by their hearing aids. The brand offers small, self-fitting devices designed with the aim to enhance both hearing and comfort for the user. Their hearing aids are celebrated for being nearly invisible when worn, contributing to the user’s comfort and discretion.
Why We Chose Eargo
- Comfortable Design: Eargo hearing aids are compact, designed for a comfortable fit, and are nearly invisible when worn, making them a discreet choice for individuals.
- Self-Fitting: The self-fitting feature allows users to achieve a comfortable fit without needing professional fitting sessions.
- User-Friendly Adjustment: Most models allow the user to adjust hearing aid settings via a mobile app, which adds to the convenience and comfort of using Eargo hearing aids.
- Size: The small size of Eargo hearing aids, which is less than the diameter of a quarter, also adds to the comfort and ease of use.
Eargo Best Over the Counter Hearing Aids Cost
Over the counter hearing aids cost between $1,490 and $2,250 from Eargo, for a limited time.
Eargo offers a one- to two-year manufacturer’s warranty along with a 45-day, risk-free trial period, providing assurance and support to the users.
Eargo stands out in the over the counter hearing aids market for its focus on delivering comfort alongside improved hearing. The nearly invisible, self-fitting design and user-friendly adjustments via a mobile app make Eargo a highly comfortable and convenient choice for individuals.
How Do the Best OTC Hearing Aids Differ from Prescription Hearing Aids?
The best OTC hearing aids provide an alternative to prescription hearing aids, available only through hearing health professionals such as audiologists, otolaryngologists, and hearing aid specialists.
Prescription hearing aids require professional fitting, adjustment, and ongoing support from a healthcare provider. On the other hand, the best over the counter hearing aids can be purchased directly from stores or online platforms, allowing individuals to fit and adjust the devices themselves.
Non-prescription hearing aids may also have different designs and appearances than prescription hearing aids .
Regulations and Standards for the Best OTC Hearing Aids
The FDA has established regulations and standards that manufacturers of the best over the counter hearing aids must adhere to. These regulations ensure the safety and effectiveness of OTC devices for individuals with mild to moderate hearing loss .
Package labels for the best OTC hearing aids provide important information about the device, its benefits, and any potential warnings or precautions that users should be aware of. It is crucial to carefully read and understand the label before purchasing or using over-the-counter hearing aids.
Distinction Between the Best OTC Hearing Aids and Personal Sound Amplification Products (PSAPs)
It is important to differentiate between the best OTC hearing aids and Personal Sound Amplification Products (PSAPs). While both are amplifying devices, PSAPs are not regulated as medical devices by the FDA.
PSAPs are intended for individuals without hearing loss and are designed to enhance the ability to hear certain sounds in specific situations, such as bird-watching. The best over the counter hearing aids, on the other hand, are specifically regulated for adults with mild to moderate hearing loss and provide amplification to assist in everyday listening scenarios .
Who Can Benefit from the Best OTC Hearing Aids?
Let’s take a closer look at those who can benefit from the best over-the-counter hearing aids.
Ideal Candidates for OTC Hearing Aids
OTC hearing aids are primarily designed for adults aged 18 and older with perceived mild to moderate hearing loss.
If you experience the following, you may be a suitable candidate for over-the-counter hearing aids:
- Muffled speech
- Difficulty hearing in group settings or noisy environments
- The need to ask others to speak more clearly or loudly
- Frequently increasing the volume on devices like TVs or radios
It is important to note that the best over the counter hearing aids may not be effective for individuals with severe hearing loss or significant difficulty in hearing .
When Should You Consult a Hearing Health Professional?
If you are unsure about the severity of your hearing loss or experience more severe hearing loss symptoms, we recommend consulting a hearing health professional. Signs of more severe hearing loss include:
- Trouble hearing conversations in quiet settings
- Difficulty hearing loud sounds, such as cars or appliances
- Hearing loss or ringing in only one ear
According to over the counter hearing aids reviews, a hearing health professional can assess your hearing and decide whether a prescription or OTC option is more suitable for you.
When to Seek Medical Attention
Certain ear conditions require medical treatment and should not be addressed solely with over-the-counter hearing aids. It is crucial to see a licensed physician promptly if you experience any of these symptoms:
- Fluid, pus, or blood coming out of your ear within the past six months
- Ear pain or discomfort
- Excessive ear wax
- Episodes of severe dizziness with hearing loss
- Sudden or quickly worsening hearing loss
- Hearing loss or ringing in only one ear
Over the counter hearing aids reviews show these symptoms may indicate underlying medical issues that require specialized care.
Different Types of the Best Over the Counter Hearing Aids
The best over the counter hearing aids come in various designs and shapes to accommodate different types of hearing loss, personal choice, and physical limitations (such as finger dexterity needed for replacing batteries).
Some of the best over the counter hearing aids are worn outside the ear, while others are worn entirely within the ear canal, and some models contain both inner and outside ear components.
There are essentially four distinct categories of the best over the counter hearing aids, which we will cover below.
Behind-the-Ear (BTE) Best Over the Counter Hearing Aids
Rather than having the battery, microphone, and controls protruding from the ear canal, BTE over the counter hearing aids conceal all of their technological components in a small case that sits behind the ear and is connected to the ear canal via a thin tube. The sound is transmitted through the tube into a dome or ear mold.
Mini behind the ear (mBTE) or smaller BTE styles are widely used. These devices are a great investment in helping those with even severe hearing loss. While smaller, mBTE over the counter hearing aids offer the same advantages as conventional BTE models. It has two parts: the earpiece and the piece with the electronics.
An extremely thin, flexible tube connects the earmold to the electronic device once it has been specially fitted to the wearer’s ear canal. Most of the time, these look less obvious than BTE over the counter hearing aids .
Receiver-in-Canal (RIC) Best Over the Counter Hearing Aids
Like BTE over the counter hearing aids, RIC models rest behind the ear. Still, unlike a conventional earpiece, they have a small speaker that sits inside the ear canal via a thin wire.
Sounds are transmitted electronically to the over the counter hearing aid’s speaker and then through the wire to the ear canal. RIC over the counter hearing aids are developed for those with medium to moderate hearing loss .
In-the-Ear (ITE) Best Over the Counter Hearing Aids
According to over the counter hearing aids reviews, ITE devices are hidden almost entirely in the ear—remaining just outside the ear canal—and have no components behind the ear. The components of an ITE hearing aid are contained in a hard plastic case. Someone with mild to severe hearing loss may find ITE hearing aids suitable .
Completely-in-Canal (CIC) Best Over the Counter Hearing Aids
CIC over the counter hearing aids are made to fit completely inside the ear canal. In many ears, they are almost impossible to see.
People with moderate to mild hearing loss can use these hearing aids over the counter to help them hear better. Depending on how powerful the amplifier is, even those who have severe hearing loss may be able to use them .
The Benefits and Limitations of OTC Hearing Aids
Over-the-counter hearing aids offer several advantages for individuals with mild to moderate hearing loss. The key benefits include:
- Accessibility: The best over the counter hearing aids provide a more accessible option for individuals who may not have easy access to hearing health professionals. They are also ideal for those who prefer a more convenient purchasing process.
- Affordability: They are generally more affordable than prescription hearing aids, making them a cost-effective solution for individuals with mild to moderate hearing loss.
- Self-Fitting and control: OTC hearing aids can be fitted and adjusted by the users themselves, allowing for greater control and customization of the devices.
- Amplification for everyday activities: They help individuals with hearing difficulties to better engage in daily activities, such as conversations, phone calls, and listening to music or television.
Limitations of OTC Hearing Aids
While the best over the counter hearing aids provide significant benefits, there are also limitations to consider:
- Suitability for Severe Hearing Loss: OTC hearing aids are not designed to address severe hearing loss or significant hearing difficulties. Individuals with severe hearing loss may require prescription hearing aids for optimal amplification.
- Lack of Professional Guidance: Over-the-counter aids do not involve professional fitting, adjustment, or ongoing support from hearing health professionals. This may result in a less personalized experience compared to prescription hearing aids.
- Limited Customization: OTC hearing aids may have limited customization options compared to prescription hearing aids, which can be tailored to specific hearing profiles and individual needs.
- Potential for Misuse: Without professional guidance, there is a risk of misusing or improperly fitting over-the-counter hearing aids, which may lead to suboptimal performance or discomfort.
Over the Counter Hearing Aids Reviews: Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best OTC Hearing Aids
When selecting the best OTC hearing aids, it is vital to consider the following factors:
- Style: Best over-the-counter hearing aids come in various styles, including in-the-ear (ITE) and behind-the-ear (BTE) designs. Most over the counter hearing aids reviews recommend choosing a comfortable style that suits your preferences.
- Features and Technology: Assess the features and technology offered by different OTC hearing aids. Consider factors such as Bluetooth connectivity, volume control options, and compatibility with smartphones or other devices.
- Battery Type: Decide whether you prefer disposable batteries or rechargeable options. Rechargeable batteries offer convenience but may come at a higher cost.
- Trial Period: Look for brands that offer a generous trial period, allowing you to acclimate to the hearing aids and assess their efficacy. According to over the counter hearing aids reviews, a trial period of at least 45 days is recommended.
- Warranty Coverage: Review the warranty provided by the manufacturer. Ensure that it covers potential defects or damage and consider extended warranty options for added protection.
- Brand Reputation: Research the brand’s reputation before making a purchase. Look for FDA registration and check independent customer reviews to gauge the credibility and reliability of the manufacturer.
The Best Over the Counter Hearing Aids for Seniors
Age-related hearing loss, also known as presbycusis, is a common medical condition affecting many seniors worldwide. It can be treated using the best over the counter hearing aids, depending on the degree of hearing loss.
Hearing loss, especially in older individuals, can cause them to disengage from their usual activities. This may lead to them being unable to respond to important situations such as phone calls, doorbells, alarms, or even medical emergencies .
Fortunately, the best hearing aids for seniors have advanced features with designs that are simple, discreet, and easy to use. Over the counter hearing aids reviews show seniors can improve their quality of life by using these aids to regain their hearing ability.
Over the Counter Hearing Aids Reviews: The Best Bluetooth Hearing Aids
People of all age groups can benefit from the best over the counter hearing aids as they allow them to stay connected to their smart devices such as phones, tablets, and televisions.
In the past, individuals with hearing loss had to remove their over the counter hearing aids to use earbuds while listening to music, exercising, or walking.
However, with the integration of Bluetooth technology in several hearing aids over the counter today, users can connect with their personal electronic devices and stream directly to their hearing aids.
As a result, there is a wide variety of Bluetooth best over the counter hearing aids available in the market.
Does Medicare Cover Hearing Aids?
Medicare Parts A and B, or Original Medicare, do not cover over the counter hearing aid expenses. However, Medicare Advantage and Medicare Supplement plans often include some hearing coverage. These plans are incompatible, but they are both offered by private insurance providers and provide benefits beyond what Original Medicare offers .
It is important to review your plan’s coverage to determine if it meets your hearing needs. If price is a concern, look for financing options like those offered by Jabra Enhance.
Over the Counter Hearing Aids Reviews: Does Insurance Cover Hearing Aids?
Certain private insurance policies offer coverage for hearing aids, doctor’s appointments related to hearing, and other related expenses, either fully or partially. This type of coverage is usually available for adults to opt into.
In some states like Arkansas, Connecticut, Illinois, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island, hearing protection is mandatory to varying degrees. Some insurance plans even allow the use of healthcare savings accounts (HSA) for the best over the counter hearing aids.
According to over the counter hearing aids reviews, elderly-focused health plans may also include hearing benefits, although they may be limited to certain brands or may offer modest coverage.
RELATED: Jabra Enhance Plus Review
Over the Counter Hearing Aids Reviews: Why Are Hearing Aids so Expensive?
Hearing aids are costly because of the advanced technology, research, and professional services involved. Modern aids require significant R&D for signal processing and miniaturization. Prescription aids also include costs for hearing assessments and fittings.
Over the counter hearing aids cost less, in part, because they skip these professional services and are designed for a broader market, which often means simpler features and less individualized customization.
Over the Counter Hearing Aids Reviews: Who Are the Best Over the Counter Hearing Aids Suited For?
Adults with moderate to mild hearing loss can use the best over the counter hearing aids. Suppose you have severe or severe-to-profound hearing loss.
In that case, you should talk to an audiologist or another hearing care professional about getting the best over the counter hearing aids on a prescription. Even though the best hearing aids over the counter are available without a prescription, it’s always a good idea to see a hearing clinic for an examination before you buy.
To diagnose the source of your hearing loss, a specialist in the field will perform a physical examination of your ears. Over the counter hearing aids reviews show online hearing tests can’t accurately assess your hearing loss.
Once you have the recommendations from the hearing specialist, you can decide if a specific hearing aid will meet your needs.
RELATED: Best Hearing Aids for Tinnitus
Over the Counter Hearing Aids Reviews: Frequently Asked Questions
Our over-the-counter hearing aids review has gathered the most frequently asked questions about these devices.
How Much Are Over the Counter Hearing Aids?
When purchasing the best over the counter hearing aids, the price will vary depending on several factors, such as the manufacturer, quality, and features offered.
On average, over the counter hearing aids cost anywhere from $1,500 to $3,500, but some versions may be priced as high as $6,000. If purchasing a pair of hearing aids over the counter, the typical cost is around $4,600.
Are the Best Over the Counter Hearing Aids Returnable?
A generous return policy is vital when shopping for the best over-the-counter hearing aids. Avoid brands without return options, as you risk being stuck with an unsuitable product.
While many offer a 30-day money-back guarantee, it can take up to three weeks to adjust to new hearing aids. Brands offering a 45-day or longer trial period allow ample time to evaluate the product and return if it is unsatisfactory. Always ensure you have enough time to test and decide.
Are Free Hearing Aids Available for Veterans?
Yes, free hearing aids are often available for veterans through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The VA provides a range of healthcare benefits, including hearing aids, to eligible veterans who have service-connected hearing loss or impairments. These hearing aids are typically offered as part of the comprehensive healthcare services provided to veterans.
What Are the Best OTC Hearing Aids?
Based on our review, the best over-the-counter hearing aids are offered by top brands like Jabra Enhance, Audien, and MDHearing. However, the best OTC hearing aid for you will depend on several factors, including the degree and type of your hearing loss, your lifestyle, budget, and personal preferences.
Where Can I Buy Over the Counter Hearing Aids
You can purchase over-the-counter hearing aids from various sources, including pharmacies, electronics stores, online retailers, and directly from hearing aid manufacturers. Many retail chains and online marketplaces offer a selection of over-the-counter hearing aids from different brands, making it convenient to compare and choose the one that suits your needs.
Over the Counter Hearing Aids Reviews: The Bottom Line
Over-the-counter hearing aids offer affordable, convenient hearing assistance for those with mild to moderate loss. They’re an alternative to prescription aids, with various styles, features, and brands to choose from. While even the best OTC hearing aids have their limitations, they can significantly improve the quality of life for individuals with mild to moderate hearing loss.
The best over-the-counter hearing aids, like the Jabra Enhance, are breaking barriers, offering a blend of cost-effectiveness and quality. As always, consulting a healthcare professional can help guide your choices to ensure the best fit for your needs.
- Over-the-counter hearing aids (no date) National Institute of Deafness and Other Communication Disorders. Available at: https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/over-counter-hearing-aids (Accessed: 22 June 2023).
- Center for Devices and Radiological Health (no date) OTC hearing aids: What you should know, U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Available at: https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/hearing-aids/otc-hearing-aids-what-you-should-know#:~:text=To%20increase%20the%20public’s%20access,effect%20on%20October%2017%2C%202022 (Accessed: 22 June 2023).
- Chen CH, Huang CY, Cheng HL, Lin HH, Chu YC, Chang CY, Lai YH, Wang MC, Cheng YF. Comparison of personal sound amplification products and conventional hearing aids for patients with hearing loss: A systematic review with meta-analysis. EClinicalMedicine. 2022 Apr 7;46:101378. doi: 10.1016/j.eclinm.2022.101378. PMID: 35434580; PMCID: PMC9006672
- Manchaiah V, Sharma A, Rodrigo H, Bailey A, De Sousa KC, Swanepoel W. Hearing Healthcare Professionals’ Views about Over-The-Counter (OTC) Hearing Aids: Analysis of Retrospective Survey Data. Audiol Res. 2023 Mar 1;13(2):185-195. doi: 10.3390/audiolres13020018. PMID: 36960979; PMCID: PMC10037636
- Xu J, Han W. Improvement of Adult BTE Hearing Aid Wearers’ Front/Back Localization Performance Using Digital Pinna-Cue Preserving Technologies: An Evidence-Based Review. Korean J Audiol. 2014 Dec;18(3):97-104. doi: 10.7874/kja.2014.18.3.97. Epub 2014 Dec 22. PMID: 25558403; PMCID: PMC4280762
- Schuster-Bruce J, Gosnell E. Conventional Hearing Aid Indications and Selection [Updated 2022 Dec 11]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2023 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK567712/
- Cheslock M, De Jesus O. Presbycusis [Updated 2023 May 29]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2023 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK559220/
- Mahmoudi E, Zazove P, Meade M, McKee MM. Association Between Hearing Aid Use and Health Care Use and Cost Among Older Adults With Hearing Loss. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2018 Jun 1;144(6):498-505. doi: 10.1001/jamaoto.2018.0273. PMID: 29710214; PMCID: PMC6145737