Talkspace Review : An In-Depth Analysis of the Online Counseling Platform
DISCLAIMER: This is paid content. All opinions and views are of the advertiser and do not reflect the same of WISH-TV. The content presented on this page has been created and provided entirely by the advertiser.
In recent years, online therapy has gained significant popularity as a convenient and accessible option for individuals seeking mental health support. One of the leading players in this space is Talkspace, an online counseling platform founded in 2012 by Roni and Oren Frank.
Talkspace aims to make therapy more accessible, affordable, and convenient for all individuals by connecting them with licensed therapists through a user-friendly app.
This Talkspace review will explore Talkspace’s features, enrollment process, plan options, counseling types, and more. We will also discuss the pros and cons of using Talkspace for therapy. Let’s explore what Talkspace offers and whether it might be the right fit for you.
An Introduction to Talkspace
Established in 2012, Talkspace is one of the pioneers in the online therapy industry. Its “unlimited messaging” model has attracted over 15 million users as of 2022, including celebrities like Michael Phelps and Demi Lovato, according to our Talkspace review.
The platform’s mission is straightforward: to make therapy more accessible, regardless of geographic location, insurance coverage, or income level.
Pros and Cons of Talkspace Therapy
Before diving into the details, let’s take a look at the pros and cons of using Talkspace for therapy, according to Talkspace reviews:
- Extensive network of counselors: Talkspace offers a wide range of accredited therapists, allowing users to find a therapist who best suits their needs.
- Therapy options for individuals, couples, and teens: Talkspace offers counseling services for individuals, couples, and teenagers, ensuring that people of all ages can find the support they need.
- Psychiatric services available for adults: According to our Talkspace review, in addition to therapy, Talkspace provides psychiatric services for adults, making it a comprehensive platform for mental health support.
- Matched with multiple therapists: New users are matched with three therapists and can choose the therapist they feel most comfortable with, ensuring a good therapeutic fit.
- Transparent pricing and therapy process: Talkspace provides users with a detailed price sheet and a thorough explanation of the therapy process, helping them understand what to expect.
- Easy therapist switching: If a user feels their initial therapist is not the right fit, you can easily switch therapists, as shown in our Talkspace review.
- Flexible communication options: Talkspace offers various communication methods, including text, audio, and video messaging, according to our Talkspace review. Some plans also include live therapy sessions and workshops, providing users with flexibility in how they engage with their therapist.
- Limited availability for children under 12: Talkspace does not offer counseling services for children under 12, limiting its suitability for families with young children.
- Not all plans offer live video sessions: While Talkspace provides various communication options, not all plans include the option for live video sessions, which may be a preference for some users.
- Counselors cannot diagnose mental health conditions: According to Talkspace reviews, therapists cannot provide formal diagnoses for mental health conditions, which may be a limitation for individuals seeking an official diagnosis.
- Better suited for mild cases of anxiety or depression: Talkspace is generally recommended for individuals with mild to moderate mental health concerns. Those with severe or complex conditions may benefit from in-person therapy or more intensive treatment options.
- Not covered by Medicare or Medicaid: Our Talkspace review shows that therapy is not currently covered by Medicare or Medicaid, which may limit accessibility for individuals relying on these insurance programs.
Talkspace Review: How Does Talkspace Therapy Work?
Talkspace offers a comprehensive online counseling platform that connects individuals with licensed therapists for virtual therapy sessions. Users can access Talkspace through a computer or mobile device using the Talkspace app, which provides convenience in scheduling appointments and messaging therapists on their own time.
Counseling Process and Communication
Once enrolled in Talkspace, users are matched with a therapist based on their preferences, such as availability, therapeutic approach, and specialization.
The enrollment process involves creating an account and participating in a consultation session with a licensed mental health professional. Therapists explain how Talkspace works during this consultation and answer users’ questions.
After the consultation, users are presented with a list of therapists to choose from or can request a different match. Talkspace aims to provide users with options to ensure they find a therapist they feel comfortable working with. Once matched, users can begin communicating with their therapist in a dedicated therapy room, accessible 24/7 through the Talkspace app or website.
Depending on the chosen plan, communication with therapists can be done through text, audio, or video messaging. Response times from therapists generally range from four to six hours for messaging, excluding live sessions. Talkspace offers a guaranteed response time, giving users an expected timeframe for their therapist’s response.
It’s important to note that Talkspace therapists are not available for immediate responses, mirroring the asynchronous nature of online therapy. This means users may need to wait for their therapist’s response and should not expect immediate feedback or real-time conversations.
Now that we have discussed the therapy process let’s explore the enrollment process in more detail.
The sign-up process for Talkspace online therapy is relatively straightforward. It begins with creating an account and providing personal information. After the Talkspace login and during the consultation session, users can discuss their therapy preferences, ask questions, and learn more about Talkspace’s offerings.
One notable feature of Talkspace’s enrollment process is the ability to select from a list of matched therapists. This allows users to have agency in choosing a therapist they feel comfortable working with. However, it’s important to note that therapists’ availability may vary, and users may need to wait for a suitable match.
Once users have chosen a therapist, they can begin communicating in the dedicated therapy room. The therapy room is a secure and confidential space where users can send messages, schedule appointments, and access their therapy history.
If a user is unsatisfied with their matched therapist, Talkspace allows them to switch providers at no additional cost. This flexibility ensures that users find a therapist who aligns with their needs and preferences.
Types of Talkspace Therapy Available
Our Talkspace review discovered several plan options to cater to different therapy preferences and needs:
The Messaging Therapy subscription plan includes unlimited text, audio, or video messaging. Users can communicate with their therapist asynchronously, allowing them to share their thoughts, concerns, and experiences at any time. Talkspace therapists typically respond within four to six hours during designated working hours, five days a week.
Video Plus Messaging Therapy
The Video Plus Messaging plan includes all the features of the Messaging Therapy plan, with the addition of four 30-minute live therapy sessions per month. These sessions can be conducted via text, audio call, or video call, providing users with the opportunity for more real-time interaction with their therapist.
Video Plus Messaging Plus Workshops
The Video Plus Messaging Plus Workshops plan combines unlimited messaging with four live therapy sessions per month and access to live online workshops. These workshops, led by licensed therapists, are group classes held via Zoom and cover various topics, such as managing worrying thoughts.
Workshops are held on weekdays at scheduled times and last 60 minutes, as shown in Talkspace reviews.
Talkspace Couples Therapy
They also offer Talkspace couples therapy, providing unlimited text, audio, and video messaging for both members. This plan includes four live 30-minute therapy sessions per month, allowing couples to engage in therapy together and work on their relationship.
For teenagers aged 13 to 17, Talkspace offers unlimited text, audio, and video messaging specifically tailored to their unique needs. This plan allows teens to express their thoughts and concerns to a licensed therapist who works with adolescents.
In addition to therapy, Talkspace offers a session-based program for medication management through its psychiatry services. While psychiatrists can discuss mental health issues, ongoing mental health counseling requires a subscription to one of the monthly therapy plans.
Talkspace’s Medication Management Service
Within its Talkspace Psychiatry plan framework, Talkspace extends the option of obtaining prescription medications. Individuals undertake an initial assessment and are paired with a licensed psychiatrist or psychiatric nurse practitioner.
These medical professionals are certified and authorized to prescribe mental health medications in the user’s residing state. The preliminary evaluation with a Talkspace psychiatrist takes place through a real-time video session, costing $299.
Subsequent appointments are organized directly with the prescribing professional, costing $175 per session. Collaboratively with your provider, you can determine the requisite number and frequency of follow-up appointments.
The prescriptions can be acquired from a nearby pharmacy or conveniently delivered to your residence, according to Talkspace reviews. Talkspace’s psychiatrists can prescribe medications addressing mental health conditions connected to depression and anxiety.
Types of Counseling Offered Through Talkspace
Talkspace offers various mental health services, according to our Talkspace review. Some of the common counseling methods used by Talkspace therapists include:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Client-centered therapy
- Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT)
- Existential therapy
- Interpersonal psychotherapy
- Mindfulness therapy
- Trauma-focused therapy
- Psychodynamic therapy
- Family therapy
These counseling approaches are tailored to meet the individual needs of users and can help address a wide range of mental health issues. 
All of Talkspace’s therapists are required to have a mental health care license—credentials include licensed clinical social worker (LCSW), licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT), licensed professional clinical counselor (LPCC), and a doctorate in clinical psychology—and have completed a background check.
Talkspace therapists have specific areas of expertise, including addiction, depression, anxiety, stress, eating disorders, substance abuse, chronic illness, grief, trauma, parenting, mood disorders, anger management, social anxiety, bipolar disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and LGBTQ+ issues. 
Talkspace Reviews: Impactful Features
Some of the features we liked the most in our Talkspace review include:
Extensive Network of Counselors
One of Talkspace’s standout features is its extensive network of licensed therapists, psychiatrists, and nurse practitioners. With thousands of providers across all 50 states, Talkspace ensures that users have a wide range of options for finding a therapist who aligns with their preferences and needs.
Flexibility and Convenience
Talkspace’s messaging-based therapy model offers unparalleled convenience and flexibility. Users can communicate with their therapist anytime and anywhere, making it ideal for individuals with busy schedules or those who prefer to engage in therapy from the comfort of their homes.
Scheduling live sessions and participating in workshops allows users to engage with their therapist in real-time.
Easy Therapist Switching
Talkspace understands the importance of a strong therapeutic fit. If a user feels that their initial therapist is not the right match for them, Talkspace allows for easy switching to another therapist from their network. This ensures that users can find a therapist with whom they feel comfortable and establish a strong therapeutic relationship.
Transparent Pricing Structure
Talkspace provides users with a detailed price sheet outlining the costs of each therapy plan. This transparency allows users to understand the financial commitment and make informed decisions based on their budget and therapy needs.
Pricing Options: How Much Is Talkspace?
Talkspace offers several pricing options to accommodate different budgets and therapy needs. Our Talkspace review shows the main plan options:
- Messaging Therapy: This plan includes unlimited text, video, and audio messaging with a therapist. Talkspace cost starts at $276 per month.
- Video Plus Messaging Therapy: Users on this plan receive four 30-minute live therapy sessions per month, in addition to unlimited messaging. Pricing starts at $396 per month.
- Video Plus Messaging Plus Workshops: This plan combines unlimited messaging, four live therapy sessions per month, and access to live online workshops led by licensed therapists. Talkspace costs start at $436 per month.
- Talkspace Couples Therapy: Designed for couples, this plan includes unlimited messaging and four 30-minute live therapy sessions per month for both members. Talkspace costs start at $436 per month for both people.
- Talkspace Psychiatry: This option is a session-based program for medication management. Psychiatrists discuss mental health issues, but ongoing counseling requires a subscription to one of the monthly plans.
It’s important to note that Talkspace also offers promotions and discounts for new users, making therapy more accessible and affordable.
Talkspace Reviews From Customers
The Talkspace app is featured on Apple’s App Store, with numerous reviews contributing to an impressive rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars, determined from 22,100 ratings. On Google Play, it has a favorable rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars from over 6730 Talkspace reviews.
The Talkspace official website also showcases a collection of more positive customer reviews and testimonials.
When considering its standing with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), Talkspace’s online therapy service holds a B rating. However, the customer rating paints a more challenging picture, coming in at a mere 1.06 out of 5 stars, drawing from 95 Talkspace reviews from customers.
Turning to Trustpilot, an alternative online review platform, Talkspace’s rating is at 1.5 out of 5 stars, based on 180 reviews. In line with the BBB reviews, the negative feedback predominantly highlights problems in communication, a lack of responsive Talkspace customer service, and challenges in establishing connections with therapists.
Talkspace vs. Competitors
Among the best online therapy services, other than Talkspace, include:
Online-Therapy.com is a comprehensive platform centered around cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), which extends a range of offerings, including individual and couples therapy, access to worksheets, yoga classes, and a digital journal. These services are accessible to individuals across the globe.
- Streamlined registration procedure that pairs you with a therapist.
- Provides both individual and couples therapy.
- First-month and cancellation discounts are available.
- A reasonably priced subscription model.
- All therapists specialize in cognitive behavioral therapy.
- Therapy sessions are conducted through video, voice, or texting.
One of the most popular competitors in the world of online therapy services are Talkspace vs BetterHelp. Established in 2013, BetterHelp is one of the largest online therapy platforms globally. It facilitates virtual therapy sessions with licensed and accredited therapists through various mediums such as chat, phone calls, and video calls.
- Multiple Channels for Care: Various avenues are available for accessing therapy, including text, live chat, phone calls, and video calls.
- 24/7 Availability: Therapists are accessible around the clock, accommodating any time of day.
- Simplified Therapist Switching: You can request a change of therapist at any point.
- Flexibility in Commitment: No obligatory time commitment; users determine the duration of platform usage and can cancel at will.
- Highly Qualified Therapists: BetterHelp therapists are certified by boards and possess at least 3 years and 1,000 hours of experience. Rigorous vetting occurs before therapists join the BetterHelp network.
RELATED: BetterHelp Review
ReGain is a dedicated online therapy platform specializing in relationship counseling. Designed to assist couples and individuals seeking relationship guidance, it provides a range of communication options, including live video sessions, phone calls, and chat interactions.
Additionally, ReGain incorporates unique features like three-way calls and a dedicated chat room tailored for couples’ interactions.
- Provides Continuous Financial Assistance: Eligible individuals can access ongoing financial aid.
- Welcomes New Users with Initial Discount: First-time users receive a discount upon joining.
- Facilitates Three-Way Communication: Video and phone therapy sessions support three-way calling, enabling multiple participants.
- Allows Partners in Separate States: Partners in different states can partake in joint phone and video sessions.
- Effortless Therapist Switching: Users can seamlessly transition to a different therapist.
RELATED: ReGain Review
Talkspace Review: FAQ
Is Talkspace Legit?
Talkspace is a legitimate online therapy platform with licensed therapists and mental health professionals.
Is Talkspace Good?
Talkspace can be effective for individuals seeking therapy for mild anxiety or depression and couples and teens. Talkspace reports that 98% of users found its platform more convenient than traditional in-person therapy, and 80% felt Talkspace was as effective or more than traditional therapy.
However, the effectiveness of therapy may vary depending on individual circumstances and needs.
Does Talkspace Use Real Therapists?
Talkspace connects users with licensed therapists, psychiatrists, and nurse practitioners who provide professional mental health support.
Can Talkspace Therapists Diagnose?
Talkspace therapists are not able to provide formal diagnoses. However, they can provide support, guidance, and therapeutic interventions to help individuals manage their mental health concerns.
Final Thoughts on Talkspace Review
Talkspace offers a comprehensive online counseling platform to make therapy more accessible and convenient for individuals. With its extensive network of licensed therapists, flexible communication options, and various plan choices, Talkspace allows users to receive therapy that suits their unique needs.
While Talkspace has its pros and cons, it can be a valuable resource for individuals seeking mild to moderate support for mental health concerns. However, it’s important to consider the limitations of online therapy and consult with healthcare professionals to determine the most appropriate form of therapy for individual needs.
Suppose you’re considering Talkspace or any online therapy platform. In that case, it’s essential to thoroughly research and evaluate the options available to ensure you make an informed decision about your mental health care, according to our Talkspace review.
Remember, seeking therapy and support is a proactive step towards taking care of your mental well-being, and various resources are available to help you along your journey.
 – Cook SC, Schwartz AC, Kaslow NJ. Evidence-Based Psychotherapy: Advantages and Challenges. Neurotherapeutics. 2017 Jul;14(3):537-545. doi: 10.1007/s13311-017-0549-4. PMID: 28653278; PMCID: PMC5509639.
 – MARRIAGE AND FAMILY THERAPY EXAMINERS LAW AND PUBLIC SAFETY (no date). Available at: https://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/regulations/Chapter-34-Subchapters-10-31-Professional-Counselors.pdf. (Assessed 20 August 2023)