In honor of National Hug Your Hound Day, Nathan Lowe, The Indy Dog Whisperer, joined us today to explain how to properly show affection to your dog and with suggestions to help you celebrate the holiday.
1. What is a “Hug” to a Dog?
– Technically a dominant signal in the canine world
– Hugs can cause a dominant dog to react
– Hugs are a form of acceptable dominance for a submissive dog
2. Human Affection vs. Canine Social Bonding
– Humans are emotions based (hugs reassure)
– Dogs are hierarchy-based (hugs assert rank)
– Emotional bond differs from social bond
3. Show Appreciation Through Adventure!
– Co-exploration thrills a dog
– An “adventured” dog is a happy, satisfied dog
– Show your appreciation by giving your dog the gift of adventure!
For more information visit, TheIndyDogWhisperer.com.