Happy 7th Birthday Stewie!
We were excited to celebrate with him Tuesday while getting tips from Nathan Lowe, The Indy Dog Whisperer, on giving dogs a long and healthy life.
1. Larger Breeds Don’t Live As Long
– Larger breeds more susceptible to cancers
– Cancer the leading cause of death in large breeds across-the-board (Golden retrievers especially susceptible)
2. Obesity a Primary Cause of Disease in Dogs
– 34% of US dogs are obese
– Obesity leads to conditions such as osteoarthritis and intervertebral disc disease
– Obesity increases risk of diabetes and pancreatitis, and is linked to cardiac and respiratory conditions
3. Ways to Ensure Your Dog’s Longevity
– Prevent traumatic events such as car accidents and dog fights (always keep dog in your care and control)
– Spay and neuter
– Restrict access to toxins
– Know breed related symptoms
– Feed a healthy diet
For more from The Indy Dog Whisperer, click here.