Chef Ricky Hatfield of the Bottleworks Hotel joined us today with recipes for Betty White’s favorite Chicken Wings and a Cola Braised BBQ Short Rib with Creamy White Cheddar Polenta.
Betty White’s Favorite Chicken Wings
- 2 lb boneless beef short rib cut into 8 oz portions
- 1 carrot, peeled and rough Chopped
- 3 celery rib, rough chopped
- 1 med white onion, rough chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 12 oz CocaCola
- 1 qt beef stock
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 4 tbsp kosher salt
- 4 oz oil
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- In Dutch oven or heavy bottom pot with lid, heat on med high heat with oil.
- While heating, season short with garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper. Sear in pot and form brown crust on all sides. Remove from pan and reserve on plate.
- Add onion, garlic, celery, and carrot to oil and cook until sweated. Combine tomato paste and brown to caramelize
- Deglaze pan with Cola, make sure to stir while scraping bottom to remove bits.
- Combine stock and add short rib back to pan.
- Cover and place in oven for 4-5 hours or until fork tender.
- Remove from oven, remove lid, let cool outside for 1 hr and place in refrigerator.
- Reheat for Service the NEXT DAY.
Cola Braised BBQ Short Rib with Creamy White Cheddar Polenta
- 1 cup yellow corn polenta dry
- 4 cup chicken stock or water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound shredded cheddar cheese
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 oz butter
- In 2 qt sauce pot, heat chicken stock to low boil.
- Add polenta stirring to bread up chunks.’
- Once polenta starts to thicken, add heavy cream.
- In stages, add cheese to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- And stir in butter.
- Reserve for service.
To finish the dish:
Make the polenta after the short ribs have sat for 12 hours or so. Reheat short rib in the oven on 350 for 12-15 min or so.
Spoon polenta on a plate and place short rib on top. Drizzle some of your favorite BBQ sauce on top, and garnish with some crispy onion straws.
For more information visit, bottleworkshotel.com.