Today’s Tasty Takeout is Second Helpings.
Each year, Second Helpings prepares more than 4,000 nutritious meals each day that are distributed to more than 100 social service agencies that feed Hoosiers in need. WISH-TV is proud to partner with Second Helpings for the third annual Gr8 Pasta Push, June 2 – June 16, 2022.
Pasta is always in demand as Second Helpings uses more than 1,800 pounds of pasta per week. That means your participation in the Gr8 Pasta Push makes a huge difference, allowing Second Helpings to keep feeding our neighbors in need.
For more information, click here, and for information on how to donate, click here.
Today’s Trivia Tuesday theme is pasta in honor of the Gr8 Pasta Push.
The trivia questions the hosts answered are listed below. Watch along and see if you guess correctly.
Where was pasta first eaten?
What does the word “pasta” mean in Italian?
It’s estimated that on average individual Italians eat more than 60 pounds of pasta a year. How much do Americans eat?
Which one of these pastas was named after a hair style in the mid-18th century?
Which one of these is NOT true about pasta?
The final numbers are in for the Gr8 Pasta Push! Chef Kathy Jones of Second Helpings says they exceeded their goal for pounds of pasta raised.
She says they hoped to raise about 20,000 pounds, and they ended up with more than 45,000.
WISH-TV was a proud partner in this effort.
Pasta is always in demand as Second Helpings uses more than 1,100 pounds of pasta per week. This summer, Second Helpings needed even more pasta to feed the thousands of Hoosiers still economically impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Today Kathy made Italian Chicken Rustica and Turkey Veggie Mac, two of the dishes they serve at Second Helpings.
Here’s exactly what we raised:
- 45,501 pounds of “donated pasta” as the total impact
- 145,603 meals supported by the Gr8 Pasta Push this year
This amount covers 70% of Second Helping’s annual pasta need!
For more information visit, secondhelpings.org and go to secondhelpings.org/pasta to learn how you can get involved with next year’s Gr8 Pasta Push.
The month of pasta continues! Chef Kathy Jones from Second Helpings was in studio today to prepare Pasta with Italian Beef & Roasted Tomato Sauce and Cheddar Chicken Pasta two dishes that they prepare at their very own kitchen to help those in need!
These are both meals made at Second Helpings.
Each year, Second Helpings prepares over 1.5 million nutritious meals for neighbors in need to more than 100 partner agencies. WISH-TV is proud to partner with Second Helpings for the 2nd annual Gr8 Pasta Push taking place June 3 – June 17, 2021.
Pasta is always in demand as Second Helpings uses more than 1,100 pounds of pasta per week. This summer, Second Helpings needs even more pasta to feed the thousands of Hoosiers still economically impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED:
- Financial Donations are being accepted HERE on Second Helpings website
- Create a Team of Work Colleagues or Friends and raise funds/pasta together!
- Visit Second Helpings online and select “Interest Form” to get started
- Drop off pasta donations at local area partners found on the website.
SECOND HELPINGS FACTS:
- Every $5 donation provides a nutritious and prepared meal for a family of four
- In the wake of COVID-19, food insecurity has doubled, putting more than one in five Hoosiers at risk of hunger
- More than 900 people have graduated Second Helpings job training program
- 22% of Marion County residents use some sort of food assistance
- Donations are tax deductible
For more information visit, SecondHelpings.org/pasta.
THIS SEGMENT IS SPONSORED BY SECOND HELPINGS.