Make your home page

Community activist recovering after being run over in parking lot

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — A longtime community activist is recovering at a rehab hospital after being hit by a car on the east side of Indianapolis.

Amy Harwell says she’s overwhelmed by the support from her neighborhood. She has lived in Martindale-Brightwood for 40 years and has been trying to make it a safe and better place.

But she didn’t think a trip to a convenience store last week would land her in the hospital with serious injuries.

“I’m so grateful to be alive,” said Amy Harwell, community activist.

Harwell has a long road to recovery after what happened.

“As much wounds and broken bones I have, I’m thankful to the almighty,” said Harwell.

Sitting in her wheelchair, the 72-year-old woman says she’s now left with a broken leg, seven broken ribs, a broken pelvis, a damaged liver and lungs. That’s not including the stitches to her lip and toes and the open wounds and bruises.

“When you hit something you pull forward you back up again and hit me while I’m still laying on the ground,” said Harwell. “Then she backed up again so she run over me a total of 3 times.”

It all happened in a convenience store parking lot near 30th Street and Baltimore Avenue.

Harwell says she was afraid that the driver in the SUV parked near the entrance would not see her walking up so she decided to walk behind it.

“I hit on the truck with my car keys to get the truck to stop but she didn’t stop and then I heard a gentleman said ‘somebody is under your truck, stop,’” said Harwell.

The store owner, Gurinder Singh, says he’s devastated by what happened. Singh is hoping to raise money to help Harwell cover her expensive hospital bill.

He says Harwell has helped him with his business and it’s the least he could do.

“Today, I met her doctor. She said she has such a great will power and that why because of that she’s recovering faster than they ever expected,” said Singh.

If you would like to help Harwell, you can stop by Ajays Food Mart located at 2005 East 30th Street.

As for the gentleman who helped Harwell, she doesn’t know who he is but is hoping that he comes forward so she can say thank you.

According to a police report, the driver was not arrested and is not facing any charges. She told police she didn’t realized that she had hit someone and thought it was an air pump hose wrapped around her tire.