Make your home page

Dog sparks house fire jumping for BBQ

AUSTIN (KXAN) – Two people are displaced Saturday after their dog decided it couldn’t resist some barbecue.

The Austin Fire Department received a call of a house fire at 2:45 p.m. Saturday afternoon. When firefighters arrived on scene they found a near-empty house with a fire in the kitchen and an incapacitated dog.

Working together firefighters and Austin-Travis County Emergency Services paramedics were able to revive the dog with a pet mask as the fire was extinguished.

After investigation firefighters believe the fire started after Bentley the Labrador Retriever had jumped to reach barbecue left on a stove, turning on the stove in the process.

Bentley’s owners told firefighters it wasn’t the first time he had started the stove in such a way. He has been taken to the vet and is in serious condition at this time.

According to AFD the fire caused $75,000 worth of damage to the structure and $25,000 worth of damage to contents. The homeowners will be staying with family members while they are displaced.