National

Family tree released of 8 Ohio shooting victims

PIKETON, Ohio (WDTN) – The family tree of the eight Piketon relatives – who were shot and killed “execution style” on Friday – has been released.

The slayings of eight family members in rural southern Ohio “was a pre-planned execution” and the investigation is anticipated to be lengthy, said Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine over the weekend.

All eight autopsies have been completed at the Hamilton County Coroner’s office, DeWine said in a press release.

A memorial fund has also been established to benefit the family at Fifth Third Bank. Donations to The Rhoden Memorial Fund can be made at any Fifth Third Bank, according to DeWine.

“This was very methodical. This was well planned. This was not something that just happened,” said Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader in a press conference over the weekend, saying most were targeted while they were sleeping.

Since the slayings, authorities have refused to discuss many details of the crime, including any evidence or the search for the assailant or assailants.

DeWine said that investigators did find marijuana-growing operations at three crime scenes.

According to CNN, Authorities have found marijuana growing in Pike County previously. In August 2012, DeWine issued a press release saying law enforcement officers found “a major marijuana grow site in Pike County with suspected ties to a Mexican drug cartel.”

Investigators destroyed about 1,200 marijuana plants and found two abandoned campsites they believe belonged to Mexican nationals, the 2012 release said.

DeWine has not indicated any connection between the 2012 findings and the operations found on the Rhoden properties.

Anyone with information on this case is asked to call 1-855-BCI-OHIO (224-6446) or the Pike County Sheriff’s Office at 740-947-2111.

MORE NATIONAL STORIES

Shoe art by Kokomo native stolen from northern Indiana museum

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (WISH) — A shoe by an Indiana native was stolen Saturday from a northern Indiana art museum.

South Bend Museum of Art is seeking help to find the thief of a shoe from the piece titled “Welcome Knives,” part of an exhibit by Kokomo native Chris Francis that’s traveled to other U.S. museums. His work has been described as wearable architecture.

The shoe disappeared between 2 and 5 p.m. Saturday while the museum was open. The museum staff and city police are reviewing surveillance video from the Century Center to gain a lead. South Bend’s show called “Chris Francis: Modern Bespoke 21st Century Shoe Art” is in the downtown Century Center through April 5.

Francis, who grew up in Kokomo and now lives in Los Angeles, said in a statement that he was “saddened to be informed that someone has chosen to steal the piece ‘Welcome Knives’ from the exhibition. The shoes exhibited are all documented and catalogued works of art that have shown in many museums. Every shoe in the exhibition is one of a kind, with no others in existence making them very different than shoes we find in stores.”

Francis has created shoes for runway shows and for celebrities, including Lady Gaga and the members of Kiss and The Sex Pistols.

His work was displayed late last year on the Purdue University campus.

Anyone with information was asked to call the South Bend Police Department at (574) 235.9201 or contact the South Bend Museum of Art via email at info@southbendart.org, or through the museum’s social media accounts: Facebook, @SouthBendMuseumofArt; Twitter, @southbendart; Instagram, @southbendart.

MORE STORIES

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK