Hogsett awards music cities program grants
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Inside INdiana Business) – Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett has named the recipients of the Music Cities Strategy Recovery Program, a recently-launched effort aimed at helping independent music venues impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. The city says grants were awarded to 17 live venues, totaling more than $120,000 in funding.
The program, which was open to independent music venues located within Marion County, provides funding for overhead costs such as monthly rent or mortgage payments and utility payments.
“As we navigate the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic, we must protect our live music venues and the continued vibrancy of our neighborhoods,” said Hogsett. “The success of these establishments will be key pieces of our return from the public health crisis and the comeback of our local economy. The Music Cities Strategy Recovery Program will help support venues during this difficult time and allow them to begin planning for the future.”
The city says Indianapolis-based nonprofit Musical Family Tree, administrator of the grant, received a total of 17 applications. The funding awarded through the program averaged about $7,300 per recipient.
“We are thankful for a city that recognizes the cultural importance of independent live music venues. The Indiana Independent Venue alliance has been working hard to provide impact data that supports important grant programs like the Music Strategy Recovery Program,” said Josh Baker, IIVA founder and executive director. “We have a long road ahead, but these opportunities provide hope and instill confidence that these independent businesses are valued contributors to our local economy.”
The grant recipients and their associated neighborhoods include:
- AJ’s Lounge – Old Southside (Babe Denny)
- Black Circle – Keystone Monon
- Burnside Inn – Massachusetts Ave.
- Chatterbox Jazz Club – Massachusetts Ave.
- Duke’s Indy – Germania Creek
- HI-FI Indy & Hi-Fi Annex – Fountain Square
- Hoosier Dome – Fountain Square
- Melody Inn – Butler Tarkington
- Mousetrap – Lake Maxinhall
- Radio Radio – Fountain Square
- Slippery Noodle Inn – Wholesale District
- Square Cat Vinyl – Fountain Square
- State Street Pub – Arsenal Heights
- The Jazz Kitchen – Meridian Kessler
- The Patron Saint – Wholesale District
- The Vogue – Broad Ripple
- White Rabbit Cabaret – Fountain Square