Signups underway for expanded Healthy Indiana Plan
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) – A top state official says applications are being handled smoothly in the first week for Indiana’s expanded health care program for low-income residents.
Indiana Family and Social Service Administration Secretary John Wernert says the rollout of the new Healthy Indiana Plan has gone well since its federal approval was announced last week.
Wernert told the House Ways and Means Committee Tuesday that some 180,000 people who were already part of the previous HIP or Hoosier Healthwise programs have been converted to the new plan and applications are being processed from 6,000 people who were on the HIP waiting list.
Officials estimate 350,000 Indiana residents might be eligible for the program. Wernert says it’s being promoted through doctors and hospitals and that an advertising campaign is planned starting next month.