Make your home page

Indiana trooper OK after shooting at gas station on east side

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — An Indiana State Police trooper and a 30-year-old Indianapolis man exchanged gunfire Monday afternoon at an Indianapolis gas station after family members expressed concerns about the man’s well-being, investigators say.

Zachary Scifres was taken to a hospital in critical condition after the shooting, police say.

Sgt. Jonathan Haugh is a supervisor with the Indianapolis post of the state police. He was on duty, in uniform and had a bodycam and a patrol car camera activated during the encounter with Scrifres. The trooper was not injured. Per protocol, Haugh will be placed on administrative leave.

Medics and Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department were called to a report of shots fired and a “gunshot scene unsafe” at 5 p.m. Monday at 7805 Brooksville Road. That’s a Speedway gas station and convenience store located southeast of the interchange for I-465.

Police from Morristown had contacted the state police about 4:30 p.m. Monday for help on a welfare check of Scifres. The town along U.S 52/Brookville Road is about a 40-minute drive east of downtown Indianapolis.

Morristown Police Department reported Scifres’ family was concerned for his safety and the public’s safety after he’d made “delusional statements.”

The sergeant reported a few minutes before 5 p.m. that he’d found a green and white garbage truck, which had been believed to be driven by Scifres, behind the gas station. Scifres got out of the truck and bean walking away from Haugh, says a news release issued from state police.

“As Sergeant Haugh attempted to detain Scifres, Scifres physically resisted the detention and ran to the north side of the gas station. While running north toward the gas pumps Scifres pulled out a handgun and fired shots toward Sergeant Haugh. Sergeant Haugh returned fire, striking Scifres. As Sergeant Haugh approached Scifres, who was on the ground, a second physical altercation ensued at which time Sgt. Haugh fired shots again. Scifres was handcuffed, then Sergeant Haugh immediately began emergency life saving medical aid,” the release says.

Sgt. John Perrine, a spokesman for the Indianapolis post, said at the shooting scene that Scifres “was immediately given care by the trooper on the scene as well as the arriving troopers. A tourniquet was applied by a trooper, the second trooper on scene applied a tourniquet, to the suspect who was bleeding heavily.”

Investigators also recovered a gun.

No one in the area was hit by a stray bullet, but multiple residents of the area were shocked the shooting happened in their neighborhood.

“I was very surprised that a shooting was in this area because, like I said, we’ve been living in this area for 18 years,” Doris Logan said. “It is known for being a safe area. Again, things are changing in our society so unfortunately some of it is not a surprise these days.”

Mental health resources