RICHMOND, Ind. (WISH) — The Richmond Police Department is sharing information on Monday’s funeral procession for fallen K-9 officer Seara Burton.
Burton died Sept. 18 in hospice care, several weeks after she was shot in the head during a traffic stop.
Visitation for Burton will be held Sunday from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Richmond City Municipal Building, located at 50 North Street.
According to the Richmond Police Department Facebook page, thousands of people are expected to attend K-9 officer Burton’s Sunday viewing. Nearby parking will be scarce because the parking lots of the Richmond City Building, Wayne County Courthouse, and Annex Building are reserved for law enforcement and first responders.
A free shuttle service will run between the lots listed below and the Richmond City Building.
Shuttles will start running at 1 p.m. Sunday.
Shuttle locations and other parking locations are listed on the map below:
- 203 East Main Street (WellCare Community Health)
- 100 South 5th Street (Wayne County Health Department)
- 500 South A Street (Wayne Bank)
- Behind 601 East Main Street (Former Elder-Beerman)
- 20 South 8th Street (City Parking Garage)
- 100 South 10th Street (City Parking Lot)
- 47 North 6th Street (Elstro Plaza)
- In addition, the parking lot at Dennis Middle School (222 NW 7th Street) will have accessibility parking for anyone with mobility issues.
Her funeral will be held at 11 a.m. Monday in the Tiernan Center at Richmond High School, located at 380 Hub Etchison Parkway. Doors will open at 10 a.m. and the ceremony will begin an hour later.
The procession route will take Burton from the high school to Crown Hill Cemetery on 38th Street in Indianapolis.
The route is as follows:
- Richmond High School to Southwest G Street
- East (Left) on Southwest G Street to South 5th Street
- North(Left) onto South 5th Street to North A Street (US 40)
- West (Left) onto North A Street (US 40) to East Main Street
- West(Right) on East Main Street to Southwest 5th Street
- South(Left) on Southwest 5th Street to US 40
- West (Right) on US 40 to Illinois Street
- North (Right) on Illinois Street to 34th Street
- West (Left) onto 34th Street into Crown Hill Cemetery
The procession will pause in front of the Richmond Police Department, located at 50 North Fifth Street, for the final 10-42 call. The procession will then continue under a garrison flag, which will be located at First Street and West Main Street in Richmond.