Fever reveal new ‘Rebel’ uniform honoring team history
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — The Indiana Fever will honor hoops legend Tamika Catchings and celebrate special moments in franchise history with a special Nike Rebel uniform in 2023.
“Inspired by past achievements and the rich history of basketball in the Hoosier State, this Fever Rebel uniform will honor the history that has shaped the Fever franchise,” the Fever said in a release Friday.
Some of these historic moments include:
- 1972: Title IX, co-authored by U.S. Sen. Birch Bayh, of Indiana, is signed into law. Bayh later became the Fever’s 5,500th season ticket holder, officially securing the team as a WNBA franchise.
- 1999: Indianapolis is awarded a WNBA expansion franchise to begin play in 2000.
- 2009: The Fever advance to their first-ever WNBA Finals.
- 2012: The Fever capture the first WNBA title in franchise history.
- 2020: Tamika Catchings is into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. The ‘Basketball Chose Me’ label on the uniform’s belt buckle is a nod to her acceptance speech.
The special red uniforms are on sale now at the Fever’s online store.
“The ‘Basketball Chose Me’ messaging from Tamika Catchings etched into this uniform will be worn with immense pride, and equally serve as an impactful display to inspire those girls watching our team every game. The Indiana Fever franchise will always be committed to honoring our rich past, while continuously striving to inspire the next generation,” Fever President Dr. Allison Barber said.
Fans will see the Fever wear the new uniforms at the following 2023 home games:
- Sunday, June 11 vs. Phoenix
- Sunday, July 9 vs. Dallas
- Tuesday, Aug. 1 vs. Phoenix
- Sunday, Aug. 13 vs. New York
- Thursday, Aug. 24 vs. Seattle
Hoosier hoops fans won’t want to miss the Fever Draft Party at Gainbridge Fieldhouse on Monday, April 10. Watch as the team takes the No. 1 overall pick for the first time in franchise history!
The Fever will start the season at home on Friday, May 19, against the Connecticut Sun. Visit the team’s website to buy tickets or learn more.