Make your home page

Louisville police officer injured in traffic stop shooting

Louisville police officer in critical condition after being shot

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WISH) — An officer with the Louisville Metro Police Department remained stable in critical condition Thursday afternoon following a shooting during an early morning traffic stop.

The officer, who has not been publicly identified, was in UofL Hospital in Louisville. The department sent a social media message about 4:40 p.m. Thursday: “We greatly appreciate the public’s support and prayers.”

Police also posted that several people of interest were being questioned Thursday afternoon.

The injured officer and another officer, who also has not been publicly identified, stopped a vehicle about 2:30 a.m. Thursday in the 4000 block of Kentucky Street. Subsequently, shots were fired from a nearby home, police say.

The 4000 block of Kentucky Street is in Louisville’s Chickasaw neighborhood. It just east of Interstate 264 about 8 miles from the Indiana-Kentucky border.

The injured officer, who has been with the department for more than a year, was shot in the upper torso and rushed to a hospital. The second officer at the scene was not injured and “discharged his weapon” after shots were fired, police say.

“Our hostage negotiation team, SWAT, and other support are currently on scene at the house where the shots were fired at the officer,” LMPD said on X, formerly Twitter, at 6:37 a.m. Thursday.

Investigators say they will look at footage from body-worn cameras. The footage will be shared with the public within 10 business days.

The wounded officer is the second Louisville Metro Police Officer shot while on duty so far this year. Officer Nickolas Wilt was injured during a mass shooting at a downtown bank on April 10. Wilt is still recovering from his injuries.

In the social media posts around 4:40 p.m. Thursday, police said they’ve completed “major operations” in the area and residents can “resume regular activities.”