NBA

Indy’s 2021 NBA All-Star Game planners visit Chicago

Behind the scenes with Indianapolis’ 2021 NBA All-Star Game plans

CHICAGO (WISH) — Dear Chicago, we need your blueprints. This party, the biggest the NBA throws on an annual basis, is on the way to Indianapolis in 2021 and, on paper, it’s a bit intimidating.

The guest list? That’s 24 of the most recognizable superstars in all of sports and hundreds of media members, including a growing number that hail from outside of the United States. Plus, most importantly, thousands of fans.

“It will be north of 100,000 people and the economic impact of the event will be north of $100 million, which we are obviously very excited about. We built Indianapolis to host some of these events,” Mel Raines said.

Raines is the president of 2021 NBA All-Star Indianapolis Organizing Committee and, on Friday, she toured this weekend’s All-Star setup at the United Center alongside the NBA’s top minds and a few of Indiana’s, too.

“I am looking whether there is stuff laying on the ground. I am looking to see whether there are lights out in the ceiling. People forget to look up sometimes,” said Rick Fuson, president of Pacers Sports and Entertainment.

While these two are hard at work, the NBA’s top voice is already excited about getting to Indianapolis in 2021.

“If any place deserves an All-Star game, it is Indiana,” play-by-play announcer Mike Breen said. “I have been going there for almost 30 years. The passion of the basketball fans there is off-the-charts. I can’t think of a better place than Indiana.”

The red carpet is ready for 2020 All-Star Weekend. Let the 2021 countdown begin.  

MORE NBA STORIES

Boyfriend of British TV presenter heartbroken by her death

LONDON (AP) — The boyfriend of Caroline Flack, the former British TV host for the controversial reality show “Love Island,” said Sunday that his “heart is broken” at her death as criticism mounted over her treatment by some British media.

British commercial television network ITV said it would not air Sunday’s edition of the show but that it would return on Monday with a tribute to its former host.

Flack, 40, was found dead Saturday at her home in east London after taking her own life, according to a family lawyer. Flack hosted “Love Island” from its launch in 2015 before stepping down in December after being charged with assaulting her 27-year-old boyfriend, Lewis Burton.

Flack denied the charge and was to stand trial next month. She was also not allowed to have any contact with Burton, a bail restriction he objected to. Burton also did not want Britain’s Crown Prosecution Service to go ahead with the trial.

Over the past few months, Flack had been the focus of several negative articles and was trolled across social media for the assault charge. On Sunday, the story of her suicide dominated the front pages of British newspapers.

Beside a picture of them together, Burton said on Instagram that he was in “so much pain.”

He added: “I promise I will ask all the questions you wanted and I will get all the answers nothing will bring you back but I will try make you proud everyday.”

The sixth season of “Love Island” is currently airing and ITV said in a statement that it will not broadcast Sunday’s edition of the show. On Saturday, the commercial network did not air a package of unseen footage from the previous week.

“After careful consultation between Caroline’s representatives and the ‘Love Island’ production team, and given how close we still are to the news of Caroline’s tragic death, we have decided not to broadcast tonight’s ‘Love Island’ out of respect for Caroline’s family,” ITV said in a statement.

ITV said the show will return on Monday and that it will include “a tribute to Caroline who will be forever in our hearts.”

“Love Island” puts young, attractive contestants in a tropical paradise, where they must pair up or risk being exiled. Critics claim the program places vulnerable young people under intense scrutiny and pressure, which is magnified by blanket coverage of the show by tabloids and TV talk shows. Two former “Love Island” contestants, Sophie Gradon and Mike Thalassitis, died by suicide in 2018 and 2019.

Until her arrest, Flack had enjoyed a meteoric career rise after co-hosting Saturday morning children’s television shows. She also hosted companion shows to the popular ITV programs “I’m A Celebrity … Get Me Out of Here!” and “The X Factor.”

Flack’s career blossomed further after she won the BBC show “Strictly Come Dancing” in 2014, the British version of “Dancing With The Stars.” While hosting “Love Island,” Flack made her West End stage debut in 2018, playing Roxie Hart in the musical “Chicago.”

Her death led to a flood of tributes from fellow TV hosts and criticism of her treatment by the media. The Sun tabloid, for example, removed negative online articles about her soon after her death was announced.

Talent agent Jonathan Shalit told BBC radio that Flack received “more negative press than a terrorist or a paedophile” over the trial.

“These people might be famous, but they’re still vulnerable individuals,” Shalit said.

By Sunday evening, an online petition calling for a government inquiry into “the practices and policies of mainstream media organisations and social media platforms in their efforts to protect members of the public from harm” had garnered more than 191,000 signatures.

The Crown Prosecution Service has also come under criticism for pushing ahead with the trial in the face of Burton’s opposition, particularly from Flack’s management’s company.

“The CPS should look at themselves today and how they pursued a show trial that was not only without merit but not in the public interest,” said Francis Ridley of Money Talent Management. “And ultimately resulted in significant distress to Caroline.”

MORE STORIES

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK