The Indiana Black Expo is taking over Indy with 10 days packed full of both fun and education. Today, we’re focusing on the Minority Health Fair which features over $2,500 worth of free health screenings, health education information, special guest speakers, cooking demonstrations, entertainment, health activities and much more!
Chef Felicia Grady CCE, Plate it Up Catering executive chef, ServSafe proctor instructor and restaurant consultant joined us today to share recipes for Chicken Marsala and Spinach Mushroom Pasta. You can meet her this weekend at the IBE’s Minority Health Fair happening, July 16 to July 18. They will be located at the Indiana Convention Center Hall I-K. She will be doing Health Eating Demonstrations on Friday at 11:15 and 12:30 pm.
Antoniette Holt, director of the office of minority health for Indiana State Dept. of Health also joined us today to share more about the Minority Health Fair.
Indiana Black Expo
Indiana Black Expo hosts the state’s two largest cultural events: Summer Celebration and Circle City Classic. These events not only provide entertainment, education, and access to resources for the Indiana community but also support the year-round programming to propel the future of today’s youth and families.
IBE’s annual Summer Celebration provides the setting for the world’s most expansive health screening event targeting African Americans and minorities. The Black & Minority Health Fair is staged by the Indiana State Department of Health at the Indianapolis Convention Center. Thousands of individuals, many of whom are elderly and/or indigent, have access to more than $2,000 in screenings and examinations at no cost. Demonstrations, presentations, an interactive stage, and distribution of information are also features of this important highlight of every summer.
Black and Minority Health Fair
Friday, July 16, 2021, 9 a.m. – 10 a.m.
Friday, July 16, 2021, 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Saturday, July 17, 2021, 10 a.m.– 7 p.m.
Sunday, July 18, 2021, Noon – 6 p.m.
- Cholesterol-full lipid panel
- HIV Testing/Education
- Dental Education/Screening
- Vision Education/Screening
- Foot and Ankle Health
- Clinical Breast Exams
- Self-Care/Mental Health Education
- Adolescent Vaccines (For Back to School)
- 1 cup of white rice
- 1cup chicken stock
- 2 boneless skinless thin sliced chicken breast
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup marsala wine
- 2tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp parsley
- Cook rice According to directions
- Heat oil on med high heat to 350 Fahrenheit
- Dredge the chicken in corn starch coating the entire chicken with cornstarch
- Cook until brown on both sides, but not completely done
- Remove from pan
- Add mushrooms cook 5 mins
- Add chicken stock cook 5mins
- Add marsala wine
- Cook until the sauce thicken
- Add chicken finish cooking until internal temperature reaches 165 Fahrenheit
- Finish with heavy cream
- Garnish with parsley
Spinach Mushroom Pasta
- 1lb – gluten-free spaghetti
- 1 16oz bag of baby spinach
- 1/2 cup med diced onions
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (any kinds of you liking)
- 1/2 tbsp -crushed garlic
- 2tbso – butter
- 2tbsp parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to directions
- Melt 1tbsp of butter over medium heat
- Cook mushrooms until golden brown
- Add rest of butter
- Sweat onions until translucent
- Add garlic
- Add spinach cook until wilted
- Remove from pan place on top of pasta
- Garnish with parmesan cheese, salt and pepper
For more information on Felicia visit, plateitupcatering.net.
For more information on the Indiana Black & Minority Health Fair click here or call: 317-232-3231.
THIS SEGMENT IS SPONSORED BY THE MINORITY HEALTH FAIR.