Take care of your heart, and it’ll take care of you. Basilmomma’s Heather Tallman explains how we can take the healthy heart pledge, all by eating seafood! Now through the end of March, for every Hoosier who signs the Healthy Heart Pledge, Seafood Nutrition Partnership will donate one can of seafood to Wheeler Mission.
Today on Indy Style, Heather shows us how to make a Super Food Salmon Salad! Here’s the recipe:
Super Food Salmon Salad: (recipe link at: www.seafoodnutrition.org/superfood-salmon-salad.html)
• Prep Time: 10 minutes
• Cook Time: 5 minutes
• Yield: 2 Servings
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
• 340 calories
• 38.5 grams carbohydrate
• 25 grams protein
• 11.5 grams total fatIngredients:
• 10 asparagus spears, cut in 1-inch pieces
• 5 ounces canned salmon (or can use leftover salmon)
• 2 cups mixed spring greens
• 2 cups baby spinach 12 cherry tomatoes, diced
• ½ cucumber, thinly sliced
• ½ yellow or orange bell pepper, thinly sliced (red bell pepper is fine if you have on hand)
• ½ cup white cannellini or chickpea beans, drained and rinsed
• ¼ avocado, diced
• ¼ cup carrots, thinly sliced or grated
• ½ mango, diced
• Dash of salt, pepper, and seasonings to taste
Dressing: ½ tablespoon olive oil 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar 1 teaspoon yellow or Dijon mustard 1 teaspoon honey Minced garlic and/or seasonings to taste
Instructions: Put asparagus and 1 teaspoon of water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for two to three minutes, or until asparagus is tender. Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl. Mix dressing ingredients and drizzle on salad. Toss well and serve.
So, take the Healthy Heart Pledge TODAY!
• #HealthyHeartPledge www.seafoodnutrition.org/healthy-heart-pledge.html
Don’t forget, Heather will also be doing a cooking demo for SNP on March 25 at the grand reopening of MARSH on Kinser Pike in Bloomington!
To learn more, visist www.basilmomma.com.