Crime Watch 8

Teen shot at Ben Davis HS football game vs. Carmel; 18-year-old arrested

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Police say a 16-year-old boy was shot by an 18-year-old man Friday night during a high school football game at a stadium on the west side.

The injured teen was taken to a hospital and was stable, police said Friday night. The other teen, David Tillman, has been arrested for aggravated battery, police said Saturday. The 16-year-old was shot in an arm, according to the school district. Police have not identified the boy.

The district’s superintendent, Jeff Butts, said Saturday that one of the people involved was a former Wayne Township Schools student, but Butts did not indicate which one. He also said no Wayne Township Schools students were involved.

Carmel was playing against the Giants at Ben Davis Football Stadium, and the game was airing live on MyINDY-TV 23, the WISH-TV sister station. The shots rang out in the fourth quarter of the game.

As shots were heard, players scrambled from the field, and fans were evacuated. The remainder of the game was canceled.

IMPD said school police chased Tillman as he ran away after the shooting but caught him near the school.

Jared Evans, a City-County Council member, said in a social media post Saturday afternoon, “One of the individuals arrested also appears to be involved in several violent incidents, including a Shell gas station shooting and a Brownsburg shooting.”

Police have only announced one arrest, and the information about a suspect being involved in other shootings has not been confirmed publicly by police.

Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department dispatch information at 9:24 p.m. Friday showed a report of shots fired from the high school, 1200 N. Girls School Road. At least two ambulances from Wayne Township Fire Department were sent to the school at 9:27 p.m. Friday. About a half-hour after the shooting, the football field was surrounded by several ambulances and at least a dozen police cars.

About an hour after the shooting, yellow police tape surrounded an area with shell casings and a few police officers outside an entrance to the stadium near a ticket office. That’s where the shooting happened.

Kevin Ratterman, a News 8 photographer at the game, said shots rang out from near the visitors’ bleachers. Both teams sprinted off the field shortly afterward, he said.

Greg Rakestraw, vice president of ISC Sports Network, said he heard shots on the southeast corner of the football field. After the shooting, teams ran to their locker rooms, where they were secure, Rakestraw said.

Jim Inskeep, the athletics director at Carmel High School, noted that Ben Davis gives checks with metal detectors for people entering its stadium.

Inskeep said the game was called, with Carmel winning 35-21. He tweeted when the team was headed back to Carmel.

Indianapolis City-County Councillor Jared Evans said in a statement early Saturday morning, “As a former Ben Davis Giant, I’ve played many games on the Ben Davis football field and witnessed first-hand the camaraderie and community spirit of those in the stands. I was sickened to see that spirit turn to panic tonight when shots were fired outside Giants Stadium. I’m very grateful that the shooter was apprehended and that the victim will survive, but I am angry and frustrated that so many young people seem to believe deadly weapons are the best way to resolve disputes. I commend the MSD Wayne Township Schools officials and school police who noticed this conflict brewing and were escorting those involved out of the stadium when the shooting occurred. They prevented what could have been a far more dangerous situation, and all of us in the Ben Davis community are thankful to them tonight.”

The superintendent of Wayne Township Schools, Jeff Butts, tweeted a message early Saturday morning: “It is with deep sadness and concern that we share this message with you. Our increased safety and security efforts at the Ben Davis Football Stadium gates continue to improve the safety of all who enter the stadium to cheer on the Giants and enjoy a great night of Ben Davis Football. Unfortunately, during the fourth quarter of the Homecoming football game against Carmel last evening, several teenagers engaged in an altercation outside of the football stadium. During the altercation, a handgun was fired and an individual was struck in the arm. That individual was transported by ambulance, in stable condition, to the hospital. The M.S.D. of Wayne Township Police Officers quickly apprehended the shooter, detained the individual for questioning, and subsequently arrested the shooter. Several of the individuals involved in the altercation have been identified. At this time, only one of the individuals involved has been identified as a former Wayne Township student. None of the individuals identified are current Wayne Township students. Several Ben Davis administrators were in the area when the incident occurred and immediately implemented our safety plan. M.S.D of Wayne Township Administrators from several of our schools were on duty and coordinated efforts with the school police and IMPD. The coaches, athletes, and spectators were ushered to areas of safety while the situation was processed and the scene secured. BDHS and MSD Wayne Township are appreciative of the organized and safe response to this unfortunate situation. The official school-sponsored Ben Davis homecoming activities scheduled for Saturday will continue as planned. Additional safety measures are being implemented so that the students can have an enjoyable, safe homecoming experience. (I)f you or someone you know has any information about what occurred outside of the football stadium last night, please contact the IMPD at 317.327.3811.”

Anyone with information on the case was asked to call Detective Doug Morning at 317-327-3475 or email him at Information can also be shared with Crime Stoppers of Central Indiana at 317-262-8477.

Police initially said the shooter was 16 years old. He is 18, police later said.


Pixel Image