The latest ‘Mission Impossible’ pushed back almost a year; actor’s strike blamed
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Mission Impossible fans will have to wait a little bit longer for the latest installment, Vanity Fair says.
Tom Cruise’s latest mission won’t be hitting theaters until 2025, according to the publication. Paramount Pictures said the delay is due to the SAG-AFTRA strike and likely won’t hit theatres until May 2025 instead of June 2024.
Furthermore, Vanity Fair said, “It’s a fate that faces many big-budget tentpoles if the actors union and studios don’t resolve their contract negotiations in the coming weeks.”
The Associated Press reports that “Mission Impossible – Dead Reckoning” ultimately pulled in $567.5 million worldwide, falling short of the 2018 installment “Fallout,” which grossed $791.7 million globally. It also fell short of the heady highs of Cruise’s 2022 blockbuster “Top Gun: Maverick,” which hit $1.5 billion worldwide.
The most recent “Mission Impossible” installation drew some of the best reviews of the 27-year-old movie franchise, but was “quickly eclipsed” by the box-office juggernauts of “Barbie” and “Oppenheimer,” AP reports.
Paramount announced Monday that “A Quiet Place: Day One,” a prequel to the horror series will have its release pushed from March to when “Dead Reckoning” had been scheduled to open on June 28.
Additionally, Ryan Reynolds’ film “If” is moving up a week to May 17, 2024. The upcoming Spongebob Squarepants movie released on May 23, 2025, will be released on December 19, 2025.
Negotiations between the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists and the studios are scheduled to resume soon.