INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — A Saturday afternoon fire in the chimney of a brick pizza oven led to the evacuation or customers and workers at a downtown Indianapolis restaurant.
Indianapolis Fire Department was sent shortly after 5:05 p.m. Saturday to Union 50, 620 N. East St., which is in the city’s Mass Ave Cultural District. The fire was under control within an hour.
About 20 people, including staff and patrons, were evacuated from the restaurant, according to a news release from the fire department. No injuries were reported.
Marion County Public Health Department was at the restaurant after the fire.
A restaurant employee told News 8 shortly before 8 p.m. that the restaurant had reopened for indoor and outdoor food service.
Rita Reith, a spokesperson for the fire department, said in an email that the fire was located in the area that serves as the chimney and roof line for the interior brick pizza oven. Her email sent about 6:45 p.m. said, “It is unclear how quickly Union 50 will be able to re-open.”
Union 50 is a part of the Cunningham Restaurant Group. The downtown restaurant also hosts live music performances.