INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Tara Rochford stopped by Indy Style to share a holiday entrée that is perfect for a smaller gathering.
Chicken parmesan meatballs for two
- ½ lb ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons ground oats or oat flour
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 10-12 small mozzarella balls
- ½ jar of your favorite marinara sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken, oats, parmesan, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Mix until just combined.
- Line a baking sheet with foil, parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and spritz with cooking spray. Form the ground chicken mixture into about 10-12 small meatballs and place on the baking sheet.
- Place one mozzarella ball into the center of one meatball and reform the meatball around the mozzarella.
- Bake the meatballs for about 15 minutes.
- Pour the sauce into a medium saucepan to warm, then place the baked meatballs in the saucepan with the sauce. Cover with a lid and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes. Serve with bean pasta, whole grain pasta, zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash and top with fresh basil.